Spotlight HELP

Reaction score
I just puchased a new iMac, and have run into trouble with spotlight already. After copying all of my personal files, I went through just about every item i could in system preferences to have a look at what I can do (being a new mac user). When I got into the spotlight preferences, I put my main HD into the "do not search in these folders" panel . When i took it out, it started indexing my drive again (as i expected). UNFOURTUNATELY, when it got to about 3 minutes left before indexing finished (92 GB of info to index, btw), the time started going backward :S. First 6 minutes, then 2 hours, right now its at "2147483648 hours remaining." Is there any way to get this thing to finally index my drive (hopefully without reinstalling os x).

-Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you may have disconnected it without ejecting it first, which may have damaged the file system. Try canceling the indexing process and run First Aid on it through Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities => Disk Utility).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.