--HELP-- Duplicating Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi I have a powermac G4 with a 40gb hard drive i want to upgrade this to a 120gb drive how can i copy the drive like for like to a new 1 so i can boot off it have all my data and installed aplications??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Surf and use Carbon Copy Cloner. Works like a charm. I did exactly as you are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google is a great FREE tool. Another is Versiontracker.com - lots of free stuff and cool mac stuff.

http://www.bombich.com/ will get you to the download window. Biggest trick is to set the HD jumpers to select your new "Startup" drive. Most new drives come with the pin set up diagram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Put the new drive in on the top position using the IDE cable and set the jumpers to slave. As advised use a program to clone the original drive to the slave, remove both and change jumpers on the new drive to master, and pop back in the bottom position.

The drive manufacturer's web site will shiow the jumper positions if this did not come with the documentation.

Suggest purchasing an external firewire HDD case for the original drive and using to keep system back up on.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
OK Can I Use Carbon Copy Cloner To Clone My Hard Drive (Internal) To My External Drive (Either USB or Firewire)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably is the answer. When in the program, if you can see a drive then it will be fair game. Very easy to use. I know others who do this as a backup strategy.

Reaction score
I just used SuperDuper to dupe my disk. Worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.