iMac DVD player not playing certain DVDs?

F

Flashback

My built in DVD rom combo won't play many DVD movies, only certain ones.

My iMac is a 700 MHz G4 model, below are details that I cut/paste from the System Profiler.

Can anyone tell me if I need a firmware update or anything else that could help and where I go to get one, also I don't know how to do these things so I hope any site you point me to has instructions?

Oh yes, I did an 10.3.7 combo update and repaired all permissions etc, but the DVD player had difficulty reading certain main-stream movies before this.

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B:

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
**Model: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B
**Revision: 2.11
**Serial Number:
**Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
**Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
**Removable Media: Yes
**Detachable Drive: No
**Protocol: ATAPI
**Unit Number: 1
**Socket Type: Internal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
does it only play movies from certain regions, or only some dvds whether the same region or not? have you tried cleaning your lens?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like macman, I am leaning toward a region problem. But more information about the DVDs are needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's embarrassing ;-)
iMac DVD will read DVDs but will not write

I have a question about my iMac playing, watching DVDs but won't burn.
Here's my specs:

OS 10.4.11
700 MHz PowerPC G4

here is my info on DVD drive:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B:

Firmware Revision: 2.11
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media:
Media Type: CD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

I went to burn a DVD+RW 4.7g, but is spits it back out. So am I to believe it will only Read DVD, and just write a CD -R, -RW, even though it read at top, 'Burn Support yes' or does it have something to do with -RW and what I bought, the DVD +RW??

Until i round up cash to buy new Mac, would it be better to buy external LG DVD drive? and if so does the - and + have something to do as well?

take any suggestion, knowledge. thx

OP
C

chas_m

Congrats, you have resurrected a six-year-old thread.

To answer your question: your spec report (thanks for providing that) make it clear that you have a "combo drive" not a "superdrive." Combo drives read DVDs but can't write to them. The key line in the report is "write strategies" IOW "what I can write to."

You could buy an external DVD burner, certainly, and with the aid of Patchburn it will work with pretty much any brand. I would personally suggest you purchase a "bare" DVD burner and then a firewire case and put the two together -- you will get MUCH better performance and speed from a FW connection than a USB2 connection.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas is correct. Here is a pic of my drive in my iMac that is a Super Drive and burns both +R -R and Dual Layer. Yours for sure is just a CD Burner with a DVD reader.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's embarrassing ;-)
Hey thanks for both replies. Guess I'll google what a bare drive is, i'm thinking no software, generic.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.