Perplexing Internet Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I've had my Imac and Macbook about 5 months. There is a horse forum site I visit very often and, until recently, had no problems getting to it from the macs. A few weeks ago both of my computers started displaying the message "cannot find server www.ablackhorse.com" It doesn't matter what I do--the blue line goes halfway across the top and then stops. Today I took my macbook to the apple store. The site loaded just fine there on my computer. I came back home--it wouldn't load. BUT, it will load just fine if I launch AOL. If it is a Safari problem, it shouldn't load at the apple store. If it is an internet problem, then why does it load just fine in AOL?

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I have done all the recommended things suggested on the help column and am running the latest version of Safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you need to ask your ISP why you can't access that site. If you can access it from the Apple store and thru AOL, it must be a problem with your ISP.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I just thought to try the site through my PC. It said the DNS server was unavailable. So you are correct that it is a problem with Wildblue/AT&T. Thanks and I'll let you know the outcome.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
My IPS is Wildblue. For Safari/Mac the help page says to change my settings as follows on proxies. My proxy setting is set to manual. I have never set anything in these preferences--it just came like this. What changes will take place? This is my macbook with internet access through wireless. This subject might now have to go to networking.

Click Change Settings.
Verify that Location: is set to Automatic

Select Proxies
Check Automatic proxy configuration.
Type http://wpad.wildblue.com/wpad.dat in Proxy Configuration File.
Click Apply Now.

Close all open Preferences windows

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I spoke with a Wildblue representative this afternoon. The only advice he had was to change security settings, which did nothing. The site cannot be accessed with Firefox, IE or Safari.

Wildblue told me to hire someone to investigate the problem or continue to go through AOL. Since I pay $80 a month for internet service, I think I will let AT&T know (I pay AT&T) and see if they can press the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.