file formats for scanning/archiving photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
tiff, jpg, or png? which is best for archiving? we may want to print the photos at some time. Or may not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
macgig,

Don't use jpg, it's lossy. Either tif or png are both lossless and will keep the files fully in tact no matter how many times they are opened and copied. jpg loses resolution each time it's opened and copied. And as good as png is, it's not as popular or in the public domain as much as tif. Believe I'd go with tif. That's what I use for all my personal files...

You might Google both tif and png and check what's said about them...

Noel

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
everything i've read so far points to tiff... but the files are huge. I guess that is the down side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macgig,

It's the price you pay for a good, lossless file. Much preferable to jpg UNLESS you never open and re-open the file, then you could preserve the resolution using jpg. Hard to remember that though, especially 2-3 years from now...

Here's a web page that also compares other formats:
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=png+versus+tiff+files%3F Don't use gif, only 256 colors.

If you want to save room, looks like png would be better than tif and still lossless.

Suggestion, save both ways on your computer and look at the total size of all the images, then make your decision...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macgig,

Can't get the url to work... not sure why, but if it works for you, it's the second one down on the list. The actual url didn't work either - I'm re-booting.

Sorry about that, Noel

EDIT: Here, I'll try it again: http://deadline.3x.ro/adsense/graphs.html

OK, that worked!! Noel

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

png looks like a good choice.....I may go with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
It won't hurt to save them as jpegs as long as you're not re-opening and re-saving them over and over as jpegs. Just make sure they stay the original size and saved with a 10-12 compression.

If you save as tif (which I do until it's off to the printer), use a zip or jpeg compression, that will take the file size down. You could always divide the files into categories too, then stuff em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
to save space you can use tiff, rgb color space and select LZW compression - LZW is a lossless algorithm

compare LZW tiffs to PNG (24) to see what best suits you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to save space you can use tiff, rgb color space and select LZW compression - LZW is a lossless algorithm

compare LZW tiffs to PNG (24) to see what best suits you

Good call, louishen, I had forgoten about LZW compression - long time no use, but a realy good solution to condense tif files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.