Speed issue with brand new iMac (OS X 10.5, 1 GB RAM)

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a question and would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.

My friend just bought a 2.4 Ghz iMac with 1 GB of RAM (OS X 10.5 I think). It's similar to what I use.

However, after about 2 weeks of using it, in now runs incredibly slow. Opening an application like Safari or Word can take 30 seconds to two minutes. Sometimes ANY mouse click will cause the computer to pause for about 30 seconds.

I went over to check it out and ran a virus search. It came up empty. I then tried to repair permissions using Disk Utility. The program said it would take about 11 minutes. After 40, I restarted the computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Has your friend consulted with anyone from Apple since the machine appears to be under warranty?

Repairing permissions can take a long time although 40 minutes seems out of line. I would run the disk utility again and let the repair permissions run until it finishes. But again, it may be best to advise your friend to give Apple a call or take it in to an Apple store.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Bobloblaw,

Perhaps your friend could use a little maintenance help. Mainmenu will clear all the caches and repair all the permissions, etc. If he runs it every day or two, he could see an improvement. Get it at: http://www.santasw.com/

If running all the tasks in Mainmenu doesn't help, I agree with chscag, have him take it to an Apple Store.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try the hardware test CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.