Mac laptops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" pre-camera! Pre-Intell and still running strong!!!
Newbie to this forum and Mac's in general really. I made the switch to Mac about 2 years ago when I purchased an Imac. BEST thing I ever did!!!

Now then, I have a laptop (PC) that was mainly used for vacation and those times when the kids were on the IMAC. Kind of had it as a back up cause I thought that I'd need to bridge the gap between the mac world and pc - wrong! With my Daughter using the IMAC more and more for school, now going into the 9th grade... I figure that she'll be on it even more. Throw my Son into the mix (5th grade) and we need another machine. I'm looking at the MacBook Pro and looking for a desktop replacement as well as something that will be mobile, thus a 17 seems to be something that would fit the bill. I've found something here locally that seems respectable. I need to know:

1. What you guys think I should be paying for it.
2. What to look for in a used machine.

Here are the specs...

The MacBook Pro is said to be about a year old.
17"
Dual Core 2.16
120Gig HD
Wireless
BlueTooth
Super Drive DVD-RW
Back-lit key board
OS Tiger

Case seems to be in very good condition except a small bulge near the release button.

Has the Magnet power adapter along with all the original stuff including the box and all original paperwork and CD's (what ever they are).

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmmmm

??? either no one cares, or it's a stupid question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a stupid question, however, only YOU can judge how much it's worth and whether or not it's a good buy. Get on eBay and compare prices for a like machine, do the same from Craig's list.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
been on Craigs list and contacted 5 different sellers. Believe it or not, each was fraudulent siting that they were in the UK and "here's how we can do it....."

Thanks though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
been on Craigs list and contacted 5 different sellers. Believe it or not, each was fraudulent siting that they were in the UK and "here's how we can do it....."

Thanks though

That's why you need to only contact local sellers with local numbers. Shipping and people out of the area is something you don't/shouldn't deal with on CL.

Reaction score
That model was acutually discontinued in October of 2006, so its a couple of years old but its still a nice machine. Its really up to you what you want to spend but I dont think I would go over $1500.00 and be very careful on craigslist.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, CL is getting pretty bad. Problem contacting people on CL is when they don't leave a number and you have to contact them through the link. I just did another one last night and still haven't heard from the seller. Probably another scam. Guess we'll see.

Good to know that the model in question is a couple of years old. The prace on the computer that I listed above is 1595 and I think it's high. Not that it's that much more expensive than the machines on ebay, but two years old is seems a little old for top dollar.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
My personal favorite, and what I have is, a 15 inch MBP for portability, hooked up to a 22" Acer WS DVI Display I got off newegg.com for like 220 bucks. Then just pick up an apple keyboard and bluetooth mighty mouse, and you've got yourself quite the setup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just thought I would share how the hunt is going with you kind folks. Called on two more computers today in the LV area. Two more scams. One was in the UK and the other was supposedly in vegas but didn't want to make contact with anything but via USPS. Then when I asked for an address, I was given a canadian address.

So the tally stands...

7 out of 7 Mac adds in CL that I called on have been fake. Unreal!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.