Brightness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2.4 GHz, 4GB memory, 250 GB hard drive
What are your guys settings regarding brightness? Mine is currently 100%...is that ok to do? I've read some articles stating that it does something to the screen over time. Is that true? I know it's a dumb thread, but I don't want anything to happen down the road to my macbook that I could prevent now.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I usually have mine set fairly high as well. I don't think that LCD's are too susceptible to fading any more (as I understand it) or screen burn-in. You can always Google it and see what turns up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not the best Mac owner.. I'd do a search like Thyamine said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
I have my brightness a little higher than half. Its good enough and comfortable for my eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
LCDs aren't like CRTs.. you don't have to worry about the backlight burning out like the old tubes did. The screen really can't go bright enough that it will reduce it's usage by any significant time. I mean, things can go wrong, but it won't be by keeping the brightness cranked up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
LCDs aren't like CRTs.. you don't have to worry about the backlight burning out like the old tubes did. The screen really can't go bright enough that it will reduce it's usage by any significant time. I mean, things can go wrong, but it won't be by keeping the brightness cranked up.

Untrue. Most LCDs use CCFL tubes, which are like a very tiny fluorescent light bulb - and just as with fluorescents, they do eventually burn out and also fade in brightness over time. Now, the rated life span of CCFL tubes is something like 20,000 hours+, so the chances of it burning out during the useful life of your laptop are pretty slim, but it does happen.

The newer MacBook Pros are now using LED backlights, which are as yet untested since they haven't been around all that long. But, seeing as how LEDs get dimmer over time, I'd imagine the same will hold true for them.

But the question at hand is whether running at full brightness will shorten the lifespan of the backlight or cause it to become dimmer faster. My opinion is that's unlikely to happen during the useful life of your notebook (3-4 years), regardless of what brightness you run it at - and if it does, it's not a terribly complicated process to replace the screen.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2.4 GHz, 4GB memory, 250 GB hard drive
Alright thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.