Worried about my security...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Recently, my mouse will shoot across the screen randomly at times... It might be a glitch, but im worried that someone might have access to my computer. I have since turned the built in firewall to the maximum, and restricted screen sharing to specific users. Is there anything else I can do? Also is there any way to see if there is monitoring software on my computer? I know its not a case of someone using the default screenshare with me because the screen share icon is not coming up on the menu bar... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
am I just being paranoid? does anyone else ever notice their mouse freak out on them once in a while. It seems to wiggle a drop every once in a while and sometimes jumps a drop. That's what makes me worried that someone is taking control of my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Optical mouse i assume

Is the surface your mouse is on a very monotone colur, or very matt

Try using the mouse on a surface with some pattern on it (like wood for instance)

Some surfaces can make if difficult for optical mice to track movement, which might explain the odd pointer behaviour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You are worrying too much, it'll all be fine and nobody is (in all likelihood) accessing your computer and moving the mouse.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Optical mouse i assume

Is the surface your mouse is on a very monotone colur, or very matt

Try using the mouse on a surface with some pattern on it (like wood for instance)

Some surfaces can make if difficult for optical mice to track movement, which might explain the odd pointer behaviour

its my MBP's built in trackpad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.