My aging iBook G4, and OSX Leopard

Reaction score
My iBook G4 is getting on a bit now, getting slow and basically just showing it's age. Sadly I'd don't have the funds to buy a new Mac. Friends have said to me that the best thing to do is wipe the Mac and start from scratch. If I were to buy a copy of OSX Leopard would I be able to completely wipe the Mac and start over with this new operating system? Would this be possible and would it help to get the Mac back to the speed it was when I first bought it?

Any help kindly appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you give us a bit more info on your iBook? CPU Type and Speed, How much RAM?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That iBook will run Leopard quite well. I have a 1.33Ghz 12" iBook and leopard runs fine.

As far as being as fast as when you purchased it, did it come with 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger?

OP
R
Reaction score
Also, now I know that it will actually work, will it be a simple and straightforward task to install Leopard as fresh onto the Mac wiping the Mac of everything thats on it now (obviously backed up elsewhere to be put back on once its all done) and start a new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Yup, all you have to do is put the disc in start the installation and choose a erase and install and it will wipe your hard drive and install it afresh, it will be like buying a new computer (sort of) when you start it up you will get the welcome messages asking you to set up your account and all that. I did the same with my macbook going from tiger to leopard and its running smoothly as ever.

Reaction score
my ibook

well its been through alot and ive got the new leopard cd from a black brand new macbook how can i fix my ibook and make it work relitivly well and function bercause all it does is stay on the apple screen of doom thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Is it a retail version of Leopard or are you trying to use the discs that came with your macbook on the ibook?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Black Macbook is an Intel Mac. It uses an Intel X86 CPU. An iBook is a Motorola/IBM Power PC CPU. It does not run an OS designed for an X86 CPU.

Also the DVD that comes with a Macbook is made for that exact model Mac and will boot nor install on any other Mac except that exact model. You need a Full Retail Install DVD which is an all Black DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.