Hardware update @ Apple Expo?

B

Bluecrabby

I know Mac OS X.3 "Panther" will be released on Sept. 16th at Apple Expo http://www.apple-expo.com/uk/conferences_apple/#macosxnew, but what kind of hardware updates will be made? I'm thinking of getting a 17" Powerbook and I was wondering what kinds of updates will be made to it. Also how soon after a OS release is it offered with the computer systems? (I need to buy before Sept. 27th because thats when the educational rebate offer ends). Also I'm currently a PC user who's never used a Mac before, what can I expect, and what should I look out for?

OP
F

Fomer

I dont own a mac yet either. But I figured I'll throw in my two cents. If I am wrong someone right can always reply still. :D

But just because the Panther is coming out doesn't exactly mean there would be a hardware updates. Software? Yes. The Panther will come witha few more extra features plus updated older features.

Look for the 15 inch powerbook to get an update before 17 and 12 because they had an update not to long ago.

OP
R

Ripped85

i'm having the same problem...I have never used/owned a Mac, but I want one, the 15" superdrive Powerbook. I'm just waiting for some kind of hardware update, but I also need it before the educational offer ends...and i know if i buy the powerbook, i'll regret it when there's an update..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Just like any tech purchase.. be happy with what you got and when you got it, because no matter when you purchased it.. within a couple months there will be an upgrade.. so purchase when you need to purchase.. no sooner, no later

OP
R

Ripped85

Murlyn said:
Just like any tech purchase.. be happy with what you got and when you got it, because no matter when you purchased it.. within a couple months there will be an upgrade.. so purchase when you need to purchase.. no sooner, no later

Ehh...i feel that way with a PC..but with a Mac...especially a powerbook...you cant really upgrade..your stuck with what you get...and if a new one comes out in like a week or 2...i'd regret it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I guess my point is.. if you do purchase it, and a new one does come out in a couple of weeks, what can you do about it? Be happy with your purchase and don't look back.. it's only heartache and resentment that follows otherwise. Do your homework, like you are doing, and if you feel like it's time to purchase.. do it and don't look back! It'll never feel like the right time.. you'll always be waiting for the next best thing.. and it will always come, but how long do you really want to wait when instead you could be enjoying your new purchase? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i was thinking of waiting for an update when i got my powerbook but made up my mind after a few days and so for over a month and a half no updates and i still love my powerbook and glad i didnt wait

OP
H

hokiethang

trpnmonkey41 said:
i was thinking of waiting for an update when i got my powerbook but made up my mind after a few days and so for over a month and a half no updates and i still love my powerbook and glad i didnt wait

I agree, I was going to wait when i bought mine in april. I eventually decided to just let it go, and now 4 months later, no new PB 15" models. I am so glad i did what i did when i did.

OP
M

mauly

hokiethang said:
I agree, I was going to wait when i bought mine in april. I eventually decided to just let it go, and now 4 months later, no new PB 15" models. I am so glad i did what i did when i did.

Im glad your happy with your 15", but I'm waiting for the 15" to get DDR update - imo, once its get's that update It'll be on a par with the 17" except for the screen, and will become the all round superior powerbook..... unless the 17" get's 2GHz and 2MB Memory!!! then that would be, wow....

ps, I only only decided to get a Mac about a month ago!! so the wait for me isn't to long. I don't think I could wait 4/5 months though.... :) so good choice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
since you are a windows user the difference in rams is huge. on my old desktop i had 1gb RD800 ram. on macs though you really do not notice a huge difference between the sd and ddr. i spent hours on the maxed out 17" and 15" at the apple store and did not notice any significant speed differences. I also had no interest in the 17" because i do a lot of travelling and that is just too big imo to carry around and use on airplanes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely agree, I would love the 17" when at home, but as much traveling as I do.. it's just too big.

OP
M

mauly

trpnmonkey41 said:
on macs, you really do not notice a huge difference between the sd and ddr.

Even when using Final Cut Pro?
Editing is going to be the main purpose of me getting a mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use final cut pro with no problems on my 15" with 512 sd

OP
F

Fomer

trpnmonkey41 said:
i use final cut pro with no problems on my 15" with 512 sd

Did you pay for Final Cut Promo, Demo, free, or fileshare?

And is it as good as Adobe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i paid for the full final cut pro and prefer it over adobe which i used on my pc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.