17" macbook pro problems?

Reaction score
I just got a 17" macbook pro with the highest configuration of everything I love this computer but had a few questions I now know that the hinges are looser then the 15" which i really dont like but dont mind too much but my main question was when I had my 15" when i press the button to open the screen it seemed like it popped up higher when I try and open it on my 17" it only pops up about a inch is this normal for a 17" due to the weight of the screen any help would be great!!

-Chad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
I don't think the hinges are any looser between the 15" and the 17" laptops, at least not between my friend's and mine. The hinges are made to be alike, but looseness can still vary between laptops regardless of size. I know mine is really tight and sometimes pops a little because of it. How loose are your hinges? Does your screen not want to stay up when it's open? If you are having that kind of problem, then you would definitely need to go to the Apple store or send it back to get fixed.

As for the popping up, mine only opens about an inch when I press the button. I don't know how much the 15" screens open, but if they do open more then I would guess that the extra weight of the screen could have an effect.

Typically on web forums, you should wait at least a day or more for a response.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 17" MBP as well and am noticing the same thing. If I have the MBP tilted past a certain angle the screen will close. Is this suppose to happen? The hinges seem pretty loose. I upgraded from a MacBook and never had this issue with that. I just opened the MBP last night.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I called a few apple techs and the design of the 17" macbook pro hinges are supposed to do this so it doesnt put stress on the hinges. Also a question when you open and close your macbook pro do you hear like little sounds??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
Sounds are "normal." I've seen other things online about the hinge creaking or popping when opening or closing. Mine does it from time to time and I haven't seen anything where it affects the screen or physical well-being of the computer in any way. I took it to the Apple store, but it wouldn't click for them, so I don't have an official answer for you on that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok so if you hear just like little sounds then thats normal mine isnt making big cracking poping sounds just little ones. so normal????

OP
M
Reaction score
If someone could please mayby make like a little video of there 17" macbook pro opening the lid so I can see how much it comes up and mayby the camera next to the hinges or right hinge I really dont want to drive 2 hours out of my way to be told its normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a video of mine opening up. I have a Speck shell cover on it, so it doesn't open up even an inch any more and the hinges never pop. My guess would be that there is some lube in the hinge that just takes a little while to get completely distributed throughout the hinge which would stop the noise. The hinges may not even use any form of lubrication, so I'm just kind of taking a shot in the dark here...

On the video, I used it as a chance to toy with iMovie. You'll notice as you try to read the text that I failed.:Grimmace:

OP
M
Reaction score
Here's a video of mine opening up. I have a Speck shell cover on it, so it doesn't open up even an inch any more and the hinges never pop. My guess would be that there is some lube in the hinge that just takes a little while to get completely distributed throughout the hinge which would stop the noise. The hinges may not even use any form of lubrication, so I'm just kind of taking a shot in the dark here...

On the video, I used it as a chance to toy with iMovie. You'll notice as you try to read the text that I failed.:Grimmace:

Thanks alot man mine opens up a little less but it doesnt matter as long as it opens and closes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.