HELP!! CD stuck my mom's MacBook. CPU frozen.

Reaction score
It's a white intel based macbook. I believe 1.78ghz processor, running 10.4.7, I believe, 10.4. something, anyway. It's my mom's; i'm here to help her because her computer froze up. She had a bunch of stuff open, tried to quit and got the revolving beach ball, then ended up force shutting down.

Now, when i start up, I get an icon of a file folder with a ? question mark. I want to put in a Tiger install disk and startup holding the C key to fix this... but need to get the current CD out of there!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
I got it out. I used Target mode, with another macbook. I think my mom's hard drive may be compromised in some way though. When i try to reinstall the OS from the install disk, it doesn't show a volume to install to. When i start up, I just get the folder icon with a question mark. Does this mean the hard drive is broken? Is there anything more I can try before bringing it to a Mac repair center? Thanks for any help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It really sounds like the Hard Drive died. From the Tiger Install CD/DVD, click on the tools drop down and on Disk Utility. See what the SMART Status is and see also if you can check the Hard Drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.