ac power will not work on my ibook!

R

redv

I've searched and found out that this is most likely the cause of a faulty DC power board and needs to be replaced, however I cannot find the steps to replace it. THe power cord goes into the jack, lights up green, but the ibook won't turn on or charge the battery. I've built my own PCs from scratch so messing it up does not worry me, I'm just unsure how to open my ibook up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geoff

OP
D

dcoughli

Similar problem to mine!

I am having a similar problem. I am using a dual USB 500MHz iBook. I installed a new DVD/CDRW drive in the iBook and now whenever I plug in the power cord the machine turns off. The computer will run fine off the battery, but when I plug in the power cord - *off*. Then I need to take out the power cord and the battery for a couple seconds before it will turn on again. I took it the Apple store and they want $300 to 'fix' it. Does anyone think this can be accomplished by replacing the DC in jack (Apple part #922-5160 ~$59 to try this). Thanks for any advice!

~Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you tried resetting the power management unit?

Check the sticky at the top for the shortcut on how to do it...

Reaction score
redv said:
I've searched and found out that this is most likely the cause of a faulty DC power board and needs to be replaced, however I cannot find the steps to replace it. THe power cord goes into the jack, lights up green, but the ibook won't turn on or charge the battery. I've built my own PCs from scratch so messing it up does not worry me, I'm just unsure how to open my ibook up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geoff
You may have already fixed the problem by now but this web link at about com : http://macs.about.com/od/manuals/a/manuals_2.htm : had some good stuff to help out with taking apart an ibook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.