Will a macbook powercord work on old ibook?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an older ibook with a suddenly defective cord -- am planning to go down to radioshack today to buy a new cord. Will the new cords (from the macbook generation) still work on my old ibook?

Thank you so much for you help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I'm pretty sure they will as long as the chord fits into the computer, I don't see why it wouldn't. I tried googeling it and nothing good really came up. Why don't you give it a try?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input and the vote of confidence Zeels. I just didn't want to be completely clueless going in to a radioshack (never a good idea).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just did you one better :p My mom has an iBook and I have a Macbook Pro. And her cable works with my macbook pro so your golden!

OP
S
Reaction score
Outstanding service! And just in the nick of time, as I'm just about to leave -- thank you so very much, you are a very good man. This forum is a blessing. Have a great day :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
I'm assuming you mean the cord you can connect and disconnect from the actual adapter? lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm assuming you mean the cord you can connect and disconnect from the actual adapter? lol

Excellent point as the iBook and Macbook are totally different as far as the power plug that goes into the machine itself. One is a Mag Safe connector and one is an older plug and jack with a center pin.

If you mean Power Cord from the Wall to the Adapter, then probably yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the iBook and Macbook Pro I was comparing had the same plug... hmm thats weird.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling you are getting an iBook and Macbook (Non Pro) Mixed up. An iBook is Power PC. No Intel. No X86 CPU. No Windows with Bootcamp. It uses a old plug and jack that iBooks used for years.

The Macbook and Macbook Pro both use a Mag Safe Magnetic connector. They have Intel CPU's and run OSX and Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats quite possible in which case I would feel awful / responsible and stupid. All at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.