Need help w/ a dead iBook ...

Reaction score
I'm sad to report that 3.5+ year old 12" 1.2 Ghz. G4 iBook is in rough shape. ;-(

Last night it completely froze so I rebooted it. When it started back up it showed these things in succession ...c-main

1. A flashing picture of a globe (earth) for maybe 20+ seconds
2. A picture of the system folder with I think a question mark in it (this scares me)
3. The full gray screen with the large darker gray Apple logo in the center of the screen (small spinning pinwheel near the bottom of the screen) for as much as a couple minutes
4. A bright blue screen, sometimes showing the mouse pointer

This last screen just stays there indefinitely, I've waited as long as 20 minutes. I've rebooted several times with the same results.

The machine had Tiger on it. I found what I think was the Tiger DVD and attempted to boot from it, but I got the same results as above. I may try my Panther discs if I can find them. I do think I hear the HD spinning at times.

Any ideas? Does it sound like the HD might have finally just died? It was the factory 80GB 4800rpm drive. If I replace it I would like to get one that spins faster, it's plugged in the vast majority of the time anyway.

All advice and pointers to info much appreciated, thanks very much in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
It sounds like it is two things to me:
Either your computer has a kernel panic
OR
Yes, your hard drive is finally on the way out. My emac was doing what you are talking about problem-wise for a period of time, but I replaced the hard drive and all was well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
If only the hard drive failed then you should be able to boot from the disc though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
If only the hard drive failed then you should be able to boot from the disc though.

True...Perhaps the logic board cut out on you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
According to everymac.com, your ibook uses ata/100 drives, so the hard drive you have in your link should work.

Good Luck

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.