Macbook to MB pro or air

Reaction score
Been using my macbook for the past week or so and been really liking the multi touch idea on the macbook air and on the macbook pro. and also both use LED screen which you cannot beat.

I seem to always be getting bad angles from this macbook and the colors feel washed out, well they did in the beginning of using this but now it feels normal to me.

I use this for basic stuff, browing the web...download music, movies, small documents etc etc just everyday stuff pretty much. Pretty soon I might get into photography, what would you guys say is a good deal for the things i like in a piece by apple. Great screen, and interested in multi touch. Basic use, but future maybe photoshop and what not, the air or the pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.

OP
A
Reaction score
ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I really don't know... my macbook gets pretty hot so I use it on a bit of wood on my lap. You can get those fancy cooling things as well if you're getting scorched.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
ya thats what I was thinking also. The pro's have the LED display correct? I heard about the keyboards fading and what not is that true? and at times I do used my macbook on my lap, im hearing that it gets to hot and not capable of doing this. that a factor?

MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

If you are getting into photography get the matte screen glossy causes trouble.

OP
A
Reaction score
MBP is not a laptop it's a notebook or a desktop replacement. Do not I repeat put it on your lap for long amounts of time unless you don't care about having children.

What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What screens do the MPB's come with, matte screens or glossy?

By default it should be matte. There is an option to make it glossy for no extra charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Pro. The Air is pretty much just for the size - it really doesn't live up to the pro IMO, and not having more than one USB and a DVD drive would slowly kill me.

The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I wouldn't get the mac air since its only advantage is its size. The MBP from what I've heard has heating problems if multi tasking with many softwares at a long period of time. But I'm not sure about the newest model of MBP, I'm sure they fixed the problem.

My macbook is perfect for me as a graphic/web designer since its easy to bring from home and office.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Air wasn't meant to "live up to the pro" and comparing it as such is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The Air and Pro are aimed at two completely different demographics. The Pro is aimed at people who need a lot of portable power where as the Air is aimed at people who need something extremely portable.

When I bought my Air I also got the super drive. I don't use it that often so I really think making it external was the best decision. As for only 1 USB port, I also picked up a small 4 port USB hub which I've only used a couple times so although a second port would be nice, it's not hindering my usage.

For me, the Air was the perfect answer, for others it won't be. To each their own. :)

You are right about that. I think the design of the MacBook Air is beautiful and the keyboard is probably the best thing about it, besides the size.

What gets me is that all the extra stuff you have to get with it to make it usable IE USB ports and an external drive/superdrive if you really are on the go.

That doesn't make sense to me because you are carry around a whole bunch of extra stuff and it's looks messy when you have to connect all that stuff to such a beautiful piece of machinery.

Stick to the Pro it may not be as light or as thin as Air but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"

Reaction score
I would have to agree with almost everyone else here, I recently purchased a Pro (as in, five days ago) and I am more than content with it. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a laptop, and I love the features of it that I would not have access to in an Air.

And as for the heat issue, the current Pros do not get incredibly warm. I bought a fairly cheap lap board at Office Max before receiving my computer, but I find myself not using it when I'm using non-taxing programs, because the base doesn't get uncomfortably hot.

I'm extremely glad I have the processing power and expandability of a Pro, because it makes basic tasks simple, and allows you to complete more complicated tasks if need be.

But it does come down to what you prefer: power with portability, or extreme portability by itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Just get something like a rain iLap, heat problem solved. ;)

Reaction score
MBP...

I owned a MBP, sold it, bought an Air, had it for 14 days, returning it tomorrow, new MBP on order...

The Air is cool for about a week.. Then you realize that it's completely useless unless you travel a LOT and your requirements for a laptop are minimal.

If you want a portable web browser, buy the air.. If you want a real laptop, buy the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but you won't be kicking yourself when you don't have acess to a remote PC when you need to open a DVD and forgot your external superdrive. >_<"

My Air Superdrive goes everywhere my Air does so I never have to worry about that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Air Superdrive goes everywhere my Air does so I never have to worry about that. ;)
To be honest, that's as convenient as the external drive on my thinkpad 560 was in 1999. In other words, a total pain in the duff.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, that's as convenient as the external drive on my thinkpad 560 was in 1999. In other words, a total pain in the duff.

QFT Quoted for truth. ^^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Some people get their panties in a bunch about having to carry an external drive, others don't. For me it doesn't bother me at all and then I have it when I need it.

QFT Quoted for truth. ^^"

Don't you mean, quoted to increase your post count? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
My thoughts on the MacBook Air can (almost) be summarised by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0&feature=related

In case it's not obvious, I'd go with the Pro. I really see no advantages to the Air, and it's almost the same price (or even more expensive if you go with the SSD). It's amazed me since its debut that people are willing to pay significantly more for an Air than a MacBook (or even MacBook Pro with the aforementioned SSD option) when they're actually getting a worse computer... but oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people get their panties in a bunch about having to carry an external drive, others don't. For me it doesn't bother me at all and then I have it when I need it.

Don't you mean, quoted to increase your post count? :p
It didn't bother me the first few months. About a year into having to use it it really began to irritate me. It'll also depend on usage. My guess is the air is not your PRIMARY workstation, in that case it wouldn't bother me too much either. However, if it is... man it'd royally torque me again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.