Spaces

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
this is supposed to be a really cool feature

can someone explain this to me as you would explain it to a very dumb person?
i've read about it on the apple website etc... but I'm not too savvy with the mac yet i dont know all the terms.. I'm just not getting it
:Blushing:
I apologize for my slowness.

quite embarrassing actually

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 160G
Spaces is just a set of virtual desktops. Look under System Preferences/Expose & Spaces. You'll see a key assignment to "Activate Spaces". When you hit this key, you'll see all of your virtual desktops. You can click on one to switch to it.

You can run different applications in different spaces, and when you switch to an application using the Apple-Tab key combination, it will take you to the space that the application you chose is running in. There are some other neat features, like being able to assign a space to an application (when you start the application, it will run in the space you've assigned to it), but I'm a noob too. I don't know everything about this feature.

Hope this was helpful.

Reaction score
Envision a "space" as it's own desktop. You can have safari, email, and itunes running in one space, while in having idvd and iphoto open in the others.

The best part is: you don't have to close windows or programs to quickly switch to the other spaces. You can set them up in system preferences using custom hot keys, or just use the Apple+Arrows to quickly jump to each one. I think you can have up to sixteen different "spaces".

Expose is pretty cool too. Don't be afraid to mess around with everything. It won't bite...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
I use it to run OS X in one space, then VM Ware Fusion (Windows XP) on a different space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Basically spaces is like running 4 different desktops all on one computer. It's really just a feature to help avoid clutter and is all visual. In one desktop you can run as many applications you like or you can run them all individually on their own desktop across the 4 provided with spaces. It's a pretty simple program that makes clutter way less of a problem on macs and is beyond simple to use once explained.

To set up spaces:
1) Go to system preferences
2) Towards the top find Expose and Spaces and click it
3) Under the spaces tab click enable spaces

Under the spaces tab you select all kinds of things. You select which keys and commands bring you to which desktop controlled by spaces, or you can assign which applications open on which screen. It's a really great feature of leopard and definitely one that takes getting used to. You can also add rows and columns so your not just limited to four desktops!

Do you have any other questions about spaces?
Hope I helped a little :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
Your dock must stay the same through all Spaces, right? How do I assign programs to a Space? If I'm listening to iTunes in one Space, can I hear it if I switch Spaces?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Your dock must stay the same through all Spaces, right? How do I assign programs to a Space? If I'm listening to iTunes in one Space, can I hear it if I switch Spaces?

If you go to the Spaces menu in System Preferences you can assign specific spaces to applications.

Yes you'll be able to hear it, everything is still running there in the background. Maybe think of it more like minimizing groups of things without clicking loads of buttons?

Just have a play with it and you'll get it, nothing bad can come of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, this is fun. :)

I have things all set up, so I hope it does make stuff easier. I love just watching it switch back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's really good for those things you may not want others in your home or office to see on your desktop....O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I can imagine it's a lot better than the old Windows trick of minimizing a Word document. My mom caught on to that one after awhile...:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha very nice. It serves a purpose other than organization then. Brilliant. Thanks Apple :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
You can run different applications in different spaces, and when you switch to an application using the Apple-Tab key combination

wat is the apple key?

thanks everyone by the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the key with the apple on it right to the left of your spacebar :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's the key with the apple on it right to the left of your spacebar :)

New Apple Keyboards do not have the Apple Key. It's also known as the Command Key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I always call it the apple key, my apologies mate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
It really comes in handy on a 13" MacBook screen. I use spaces all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, my friend on an MBP was almost offended when I said that there was no apple on the "Apple Key", so I looked up a picture. I wish I had an apple instead of the weird swirly thing. Why the change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure, guess they just liked the idea of a command key more. I mean yeah it makes more sense I guess cause you press the button and a list of commands come up...not apples.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could say "Command" and keep the apple! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True that. We should work at Apple :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.