Which external Harddrive should I get?

Reaction score
Okay, well I realised a little while ago that I was going to be in great need of an external HDD. Anyways, I originally was going to get a MyBook Studio edition because of it's great price for 500GBs. But after doing some research and finding out that many of them die out after a year (a.k.a right after the warranty ends)of use. So instead I got a 320GB LaCie d2 quadra at the Mac store for about $172. Anyways, long story short, I did some MORE research and apparently, according to amazon, I got the OLD model (new model: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11022 , The one I got: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10894 ).
So now I'm afraid to open it and test it out and I'm thinking about returning it for another HDD (Especially since my friend told me that the HDD I got was WAY too expensive and I got ripped off...). Can anyone recommend a certain external HDD? Or do you think I'm being stupid and should just keep this one?
I mainly want it for backing up files on my PS3, storage of random data and, most importantly, use with Time Machine. =)

Thankyou!

(Btw, the Mac I plan to use this on I will recieve in a few weeks. =) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I have two Maxtor drives and a WD My Book and I definitely prefer the Maxtor drives because they are faster and quieter. The WD makes a constant humming sound, while the Maxtor drives are totally silent except when actually accessing data. The newer Maxtor is the One Touch 4 Plus - it has both FW and USB ports (I use it on FW 400). Seagate has taken over Maxtor, but they still sell Maxtor drives. I've read that the Seagate drives are also very good.

Claire

Reaction score
I would use this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tudio&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1185267958970

it runs on firewire 800 which is the fastest mac transfer rate at 800mbps, its a westerndigital made specifically for mac. it goes on sale at best buy for 180$ every other week or so (i work there haha)
would reccomend against the maxtors personally as there enclosures are a bit cheap and trashy looking and we get alot of the returned.

-Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I came across this thread in a search of these forums and none of the links provided here work anymore. Could someone please provide an updated answer to this question? I need 1TB and as simple to operate as possible. Just something to use for reliable backup, preferably an auto-backup feature. I need a cheaper substitute for time capsule (doesn't have to be wireless).
Thanks in advance everyone!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I came across this thread in a search of these forums and none of the links provided here work anymore. Could someone please provide an updated answer to this question? I need 1TB and as simple to operate as possible. Just something to use for reliable backup, preferably an auto-backup feature. I need a cheaper substitute for time capsule (doesn't have to be wireless).
Thanks in advance everyone!

That's some serious necro bumping. Anyways you can look through this list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I have 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme and it is working well. It is connected via Firewire 400mbps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you live in the US, I would get whichever one happens to be halfprice in that particular week's Sunday newspaper circulars. Their weekly sale circulars are all also available online on all the major store websites. Check out Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Best Buy, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.