Why Cant I Download Anything??

H

hagaman

Ive only owned my Powermac D1.8 with OS10.3.7 for a few months, and Im still tring to make the transfer from windows. But I am being patient. However, a few problems have got my back up, and perhaps someone could help me as im determined to stick with My Mac.

I downloaded Firefox V1.0 and since then i cant download ANYTHING! but I can get updates and E-mail attachments. Download manager just errors straight away. IE5.2 is the same.

I dont seem able to reload my machine, dispite holding down "C" with the disk in the drive it just ignores it.

I have an Epson Photo890 which under XP Pro gave fantastic results. On the Mac its nothing short of Rubbish. Im using drivers direct from Epson and adjusting for best quality.

Is there a way to import Hotmail into Mac "Mail" or run Messenger?

Thanks for reading . Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can get msn messenger from versiontracker.com, theres a plugin for mail, forgt the name, but it lets you recieve hotmail mail in mail. that download error is probably something on the sites end that youre downloading from. try a download from versiontracker.com.
why are you trying to 'reload' your mac? do you mean to reinstall the os? have you tried safari, its way better than IE and firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, try deleting firefoxs preferences and emptying its cache, or firefox may have installed things that are causing an extension conflict, trust me, just use safari, its far superior and should solve all your problems, if not, repair permissions.

OP
H

hagaman

Still no Joy :(

Thanks Macman, Ive tried safari and get the same problem (Only downloads 8k then errors) I know it sounds dumb but how do you un-install programs in Mac OS! thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

About the re-load, yes I mean Format and reload the OS.

Thanks Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hagaman said:
thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

Thanks Tony
just drag it to the trash from applications. dont reinstall the whole OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Coming from the dark side, I completely understand your impulse to format and reinstall the OS whenever something goes wrong. It's the Windows way.

On OS X, you'll have to get out of that habit. It's VERY difficult to break the OS, and 99% of the time, you can easily fix problems.

Delete your Firefox settings (search for firefox.plist), repair permissions (this is done in Disk Utility, listed under "Utilities" in Applications), and reboot. Also, try several different download sites to make sure it's not the server itself.

As for your booting from CD problem, make sure you hold down "c" *after* the chime goes on, but not a second later. My PowerBook is quite picky as to when I push the "c" key. Failing that, try holding down the "option" key instead.

hagaman said:
Thanks Macman, Ive tried safari and get the same problem (Only downloads 8k then errors) I know it sounds dumb but how do you un-install programs in Mac OS! thinking I should uninstall Firefox.

Thanks Tony

OP
H

hagaman

Now Im Happy

Thanks Osiris22x. Must Admit Ive gone and formated it. partly because it still has the chap i bought it off data on it ( passwords and stuff, so wanted a clean start) lol, it runs alot better now Im very happy with it. Thanks for the advice so far from yourself and Macman:)

Do you know if you can change the Video Card on the Powermac? Its a Dual 1.42 with 20" TFT (so the pwr is in the vga lead)

Regards Hagaman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.