• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capture Card For Mac

Reaction score
I love macs, but the only thing that sucks about is that it's nearly impossible to find a good capture card for it. After much searching I found this http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...Video/Studio+Family/Video+Capture+for+Mac.htm
Now it looks perfect, but the thing that's holding me back is that it says it automatically converts it for itunes. Now i was just wondering whether somebody knew whether the device converts the video or the software that comes with it converts it. I want to be able to record it into imovie or final cut. And if it doesn't work, could you tell me of a good capture card for the mac that will work on imovie. please help

OP
H
Reaction score
anything a little cheaper? just in case i can save a few dollars. and do you know how it would do with video games?
o, and is the software that comes with it work well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Yeah thats a bit expensive :X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Clarify something.. when you say capture *card*, are you using a Mac desktop or a Mac laptop? The result here will make a huge difference. If you are using a Mac Pro (desktop) or other Mac desktop, then you will want to find a dedicated upgrade peripheral card. If you're using a Macbook/MBP, you can certainly use a USB capture device or external (dongle) device, such as the eyeTV 250 plus, or Miglia products, which are also good.

Cheers!

OP
H
Reaction score
i'm definetley talking about an external device. sorry i didn't specify on that. and thanks for the suggestion for the eyeTV 250. Im definetly going to get it. it definetly beats the one i was looking at a while ago (easycap). so does the eyetv 250 plus record high definition video like from the xbox components?

Reaction score
saves me making a new thread. i was looking for some sort of capture card as well. I'm on the new iMac (2.66ghz) and i was wondering whats the best way to convert all of my old vhs home movie tapes to digital format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I wish they were free. Oh well. Thanks guys.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have had great success with the EyeTV hybrid from Elgato

Reaction score
I am trying to record content from my ps3 onto my mac. I think I am going to get something from Miglia. when I looked on their site, I only found the TVMini +. This only takes in SD content. Is there anything from them that records HD content? Preferably HDMI

edit: i found the TVMini HD, but can this record content from my ps3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
As long as it's not HDCP-protected content, then yes. In other words, it should record content from your PS3's games, but it most likely won't record from a Blu-Ray disc.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Capturing hassles

Hi there, my Imac is driving me nuts. I just baught a copy of Final Cut pro and I cannot seem to upload footage. the program keeps telling me "time code error" now iv tried googling this error to find ways to fix it but nothing i seem to do is working. I havent done anything to the tape, i just finished filming, rewound it and tried uploading. Can any one help?

Reaction score
re:

yeah... might you be trying to make videos for something like youtube from your xbox? In the case that you are, I am actually researching the same thing. If You happen to come across answers would you mind telling me :) thanks. Stewieno1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Hi there, my Imac is driving me nuts. I just baught a copy of Final Cut pro and I cannot seem to upload footage. the program keeps telling me "time code error" now iv tried googling this error to find ways to fix it but nothing i seem to do is working. I havent done anything to the tape, i just finished filming, rewound it and tried uploading. Can any one help?

Rather than trying to hijack an unrelated thread, I suggest you post a new one. When you do that, add the versions numbers of software used and tried, and your camera information. Also, try iMovie to see what it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Check this device out from Blackmagic Design, aptly named the Video Recorder.

I've been watching this thing for a while. I too am interested in making videos of games. This thing would be more than sufficient for me (I'm using a Wii which outputs 480p max), but it should be noted that it doesn't do HD. The reason I like this device is because its the only one that will capture a non-interlaced signal, or at least, it appear that way. You see, its the only component (not to be confused with composite) input capture device that I could find. The spec sheet in the website seems to show PAL resolutions and frequencies.

So why didn't I get it? Because its $150 and I haven't justified it yet. I actually have a decent HD Sony video camera that I do my capturing with and the quality is more than satisfactory, with a little set up. If you guys are interested in how I use a video camera I may just make a thread about it. Its not just as simple as pointing the camera at a TV screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't know why people decided to revive this thread from last year...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
I don't know why people decided to revive this thread from last year...

Ha ha, my bad. I'm new here and I haven't gotten into the habit of reading post dates until you just mentioned that. Now I feel silly. Someone robbed the thread and then I jumped in, on topic, but a year too late. My bad. :eek:

Reaction score
Capture Card for MacBook Pro

i'm looking to buy a capture card to record my gameplay on my xbox 360. does anyone have any suggestions for me? nothing to expensive. i'm just starting out.

and also something that will for sure work on a mac. i don't want to go out and buy one then not have it work.

please let me know ASAP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.