Office 2007 (w/ Fusion) or Office 2008?

Reaction score
I am a college student and am trying to figure out how I should run Office on my Macbook. Should I run Office 2007 (I already have the Ultimate edition) with Fusion (which I need to purchase, along with XP or Vista), or should I just buy Office 2008 for Mac? Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
It may be fixed by now (haven't checked in quite a while), but the most annoying thing ever is that office isn't compatible with spaces - to the point that I tear my hear out every time I try to use word. What happens is that if you happen to switch spaces, then want to get word back, it takes about 2 minutes of random application switching and space switching before word will actually display (instead of thinking that you asked it to hide itself when you clicked on it).

Apart from that, its going to be much cheaper and easier to get office for mac, rather than an xp license, fusion, and office 2007. No real advantage of having the 2007 version either unless you want to be doing some scripting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Just make sure you buy the standard version of Office 08 (should be on journeyed.com for < $100). In order to use Entourage with MS Exchange, you need to have the Standard 2008 version...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If you're going to be using/exchanging any files that have macros in them, Office 2008 will be useless for those. If you know you won't be running into such files, Office 2008 would be less expensive, but at that point you might as well just get NeoOffice unless Exchange 2007 is a big factor in this.

Reaction score
Use Neo Office

I am a college student and am trying to figure out how I should run Office on my Macbook. Should I run Office 2007 (I already have the Ultimate edition) with Fusion (which I need to purchase, along with XP or Vista), or should I just buy Office 2008 for Mac? Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

I'm testing Fusion now. I've had a hiccup or two with Windows/Office activation after switching between Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion (reboot to XP then back to OS X results in (re)activation prompts). Microsoft has given me the runaround on (re)activation so I'm no longer a "supporter" (if you can call using a necessary evil for work or a few games, supportive).

If you're not using Access, Outlook, or Visual Basic scripts in Excel, I'd suggest NeoOffice. It's a little slow but, it's free. If you just need Word Processing, I actually like iWork 08. OS 10.6 will have Microsoft Exchange support.

All in all, I'm in favor of a worldwide wake-up call regarding Microsoft's current path under Balmer.:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you need to do data analysis? If so go with 07 in fusion. Not that you can't with 08, but none of the automation is there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.