• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Is Mac OS X really safer from virus attacks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

In his latest column for the Baltimore Sun, David Zeiler takes a look at the current state of virus problems for Windows and Mac users. Is Mac OS X really more secure, or are hackers simply ignoring the Mac and focusing on Windows machines? "As the latest Microsoft Windows infection spread across the Internet last week, knocking out thousands of PCs in homes and businesses, Macintosh users did what they usually do during a computer virus outbreak -- they continued working." Update: Sam Diaz has written a similar article for the Mercury News -- "Mac users watch from sidelines."

N

nko

One thing I do believe that goes against what a lot of people say is that security through obscurity does count. It's just got the caveat of not being a *real* security feature. It's got it's ups and downs, but so do almost all security features.

I'm willing to bet that MacOS X and most other UNIXes have, beside the security through obscurity advantage, a decent edge over Windows. Not a great one, but still, an edge.

Of course, Windows programming is so much more out there and difficult compared to MacOS X or UNIX that it just may well go the other way ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm part of the better safe than sorry crowd so I do run Norton Antivirus 9.0 on my iBook and will on my Mac desktop when I get it. I do this for several reasons:

1. You never know when a worm or virus might be written for OS X
2. I work in a mixed computing environment and I want to be a good citizen by protecting myself from passing on Windows viruses even if I can't be infected by them. This has already happened more than 1 time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
my biggest fear is if people were to write Applescript viruses. you can do almost anything with them. also the Safari auto run script on download, thats way to easy to figure out what harm can be done with it. since its UNIX based, i dont worry too much though

Q

*Q*

fear factor

Applescript will tell you it is going to run a script and asks for your permission, so it is YOUR fault if you run a dirty script you found while downloading dirty pictures...

i was disappointed by the mac/pc ads boasting about their lack of viruses and bursting the "sphere of invisibility." In the long run, though, this is a good thing, especially with so much specific feedback on security holes from benign sources such as McAfee and SANS before a potential deluge of new attacks.

On the other hand, maybe the authors of all those millions of Windows attacks are using Macs to do it... Hey, Steve! What are those programmers doing in that super-secret back room?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
i'd rather be safe than sorry to but happen to have the oppinion that norton on macs sucks big time as it did on my pc - i use intego netbarrier and virusbarrier on my mac mini and ibook

and as far a applescript viruses go - that would be bloody scary indeed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't find them scary. If I download something and it asks to install anything that doesn't seem right, you just click no. Any App that would have such a virus attached would not be coming from a reputable source to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't find it scary either... especially when this thread was from three years ago and there still hasn't been any viruses yet. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
The press and public really just don't know what a virus is.

If I send you an email with a malicious executable, and you run it (on any computer), then the fault is really all yours.

The difference here is that the executable isn't self sustaining. Even if part of what it does on execution is email itself to everyone in your address book, it still took you to do something to make that happen and it will take similar stupidity on the part of the other email receipients.

On a Windows box, however, its entirely possible and even likely that merely connecting it to the internet without protection will result in being hacked. ie, real virus' do not need the user to *do* anything beyond turning the machine on.

With Windows you do not need to open anything to get hacked, don't even need to start up an email client. Just plug it in out of the box and boom.

I have yet to see a Mac virus like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I don't think the smaller market share prevents people writing worms and viruses. If you're a virus writer, you're most likely an egomaniac. They all want to write something that will destroy as much as possible and get publicity for it. You'd get a lot of publicity if you could write a Mac virus that really did some damage. The BBC website occasionally has news stories about Mac viruses, although they are tame in comparison to Windows ones.

Of course, the problem is distributing viruses when only 6% of computers are Macs.

There's no doubting Windows is poor security wise, although things are much better now with all the MS updates installed and IE7.

I tried to load up a WinXP CD from 2001 on a computer I built for my dad. As soon as you connected to the internet, it got swamped by viruses and malware. The only websites I went on were Google and Microsoft, yet it was impossible to patch the thing. Viruses grabbed the network connection and constantly disconnected or connected to servers in order to download more malware.

If you think Windows is well written, just try using it with no service packs. It's like a colander covered in plasters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
lonerider said:
If I send you an email with a malicious executable, and you run it (on any computer), then the fault is really all yours.

I agree, the question of whether it is "possible" to write a piece of software that does unpleasant things for OS X is a completely different question to whether OS X is susceptible to viruses.

Trojans and Malware are almost as possible as they are on Windows. I say almost, because by default OS X doesn't run with admin privileges, and does request a password or outright refuse to mess with the system. From that point of view, it's entirely possible to create a piece of malicious software, but as you rightly point out, it is the user, not the system, that is susceptible to it. If the user doesn't run it, it can't do anything, and if the user does run it, it can do anything that user has permission to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Does the fact that OSX is Unix based have any effect on the fact that OSX is more or less invulnerable to viruses?

I never actually knew why OSX was virus free.... =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think it's the way Windows uses ActiveX, and the lack of permission required for program installation. It's too easy for any program to download itself and run amok.

Windows is still based on the same shell as Windows 95, although XP is more based on NT nowadays. There are still plenty of Windows 95 icons in XP if you know where to look!

Reaction score
I agree with Alexis, there would be huge publicity for a virus writer to be the first to create a real Mac virus. I still use Symantec anti-virus just to prevent PeeCee viruses from being transferred through my machine.
The UNIX roots of Mac OS X help in making it more secure, but ultimately, if you go to funky sites and downloads weird stuff, the user is the weakest link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the fact that OSX is Unix based have any effect on the fact that OSX is more or less invulnerable to viruses?

I never actually knew why OSX was virus free.... =\

It isn't really by virtue of it being Unix, but rather that unix and esp the FreeBSD core of OS X has been open for a long time (unix was developed in the 70s), so the core code of the OS has been viewed by millions of programmers and attacked by millions of hackers. Unix had some nasty virus' in the late 80s and early 90s.

As the old saying, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unix has been made a lot stronger.

That said, the post about ActiveX was dead on. Windows securty nightmares really can be traced to Internet Explorer and all the apps that use the interoperability features of it (like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger, and all the MS Office apps).

The ability of IE to run ActiveX and Visual Basic programs off the internet without the user knowing it, combined with weak protection for the UI and controls such as OLE, are what is killing Windows. As an aside, If you want to see the future for Vista security, look at the fiasco surrounding IE 7.

All of this is so heavily integrated into Windows now, I really don't see it going away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an aside to this..

If you want to use MS Windows safely, its pretty simple.

Dont use IE.
Dont use Outlook or any of its derivatives.
Dont use Office.
Dont use MS Messenger.
Dont use windows media player.
Dont use the activex desktop.
Turn off OLE services, and all but the most basic tcp/ip services.

Once you have pure Windows without all the crap, it's pretty safe.

Of course if you're going to ditch all those apps, might as well just run Linux.

Reaction score
or just don't visit those naughty sites that have all sorts of weird and wonderful goodies waiting for you...

Reaction score
Of course if you're going to ditch all those apps, might as well just run Linux.

I agree with you up to the last sentence - having used various flavors of Linux for 6 years they have made a tremendous amount of progress. There are replacement apps for those you mention - and in my opinion they are better. One such - Linspire is perfect for the newbie. It installs in less then 10 minutes and the average newbie will be perfectly satisfied. Quite a difference from where they were when I started when you had to compile the operating system. My suggestion would be: if those things (about Windows) bother you - switch to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
I'm quite surprised to read that the Mac is vulnerable to viruses and such too. I've been watching the Mac vs. IBM PC commercials and there is one in particular that boasts the Mac doesn't have this issue. Also, when I called to place my order, the sales person at Apple told me I'd save money because with the Apple, I don't need to invest in anti-virus software or firewall software. Reading this thread says otherwise!

Doesn't the Mac Operating system already come with a firewall and anti-virus protection? If yes, doesn't Apple update it to keep up with the attacks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.