Old Vs. New - MacBook Pro

Reaction score
A friend is being kind, and is willing to sell his used macbook pro (generation before this new one) for a little over 1300. It was the cheapest macbook at the time that be bought it, and was 2000.
now i am saving 500 (yes my math is right, 200 is taken off for student discount) so i just want to know if that sounds worth it.
i will be doing video editing, and am not sure if the year old machine is up to it, otherwise, all i am missing out on is the new N wireless built in, and the finger thing you can do, like enlarge stuff.
if you have gotten this far, thank you, and i would like to know what you think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I would go for it unless you can find a better deal on Apple's refurb store. A year old MacBook Pro has more than enough power to do what you want. I would ask if it has Apple care, if it doesn't then I would see if it is eligible for it before buying. If you get the serial number from your friend you can check warranty status on Apple's website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Agreed- it'll have plenty of power still.

Reaction score
Power of "old" Macbook Pro ...

A 5 year old Porsche can still outrun a new Corvette . . . don't judge computer "power" buy the age! I have administered many WINDOWS networks in my day and some of my favorite machines were 5 year old and had windows 2000 on them. Sometimes, they just WORKED and had no VISTA type issues.

I was just researching the power of some 3 or 4 year old powerbooks, and they seem to perform way better than some new $2000 windows machines, easily!

Don't think you will be missing out on anything, except a good deal if you don't get it ! I think that is a decent price as well.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
It has N built in, you might just have to pay the $3 or whatever for it. Haven't kept up to date with it.

.. and it'll be fine. Save $500. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
His old MBP is good enough for what your looking to do and you save $500.

Good luck..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.