CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
meltbanana314 said:
http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=101046

Several people here echo the part about "falling back to the CPU."

And yes, some features will probably be unavailable to anyone who doesn't have a graphics card listed as "compatible." (I said that in an earlier post on this thread.)

Hmm...well...falling back on CPU for graphics calculation means overall system slow down during those calculation...
Not really a good way.

Anyway, those people that really will need intensive use of CI/CV will upgrade their graphics card, I guess. That mainly goes to professionals in my opinion.

If it's just for the nice desktop effects, well, I'd rather have a fast system than a nice looking ripple effect when I open a widget, and therefore slowing everything down...

I think we simply should wait until the final release of Tiger is out, instead of basing discussions on rumours and preview releases.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Well that'll suck - all the people who have bought iBooks this year will miss out on some of the CV/CI features?
Aptmunich said:

Even those who bought the latest iBooks released in November? Ouch!

Oh well, I suppose that's the way it works...

I guess that just goes to show you can't always be up-to-date.

M

meltbanana314

Aptmunich said:
Well that'll suck - all the people who have bought iBooks this year will miss out on some of the CV/CI features?

Even those who bought the latest iBooks released in November? Ouch!

Oh well, I suppose that's the way it works...

Apple doesn't really think the iBook line is very important.

Same thing with the eMac.

If they make the low-end line (iBook/eMac) work the same way the 'high dollar' line (PowerBook/PowerMac) then people will always buy whats cheaper, cutting into profits significantly.

But, if they keep all the goodies in the the PowerBook/PowerMac and sell them for 'only a few dollars more' then Apple will make much more money. Because a lot of people will pay 'a few dollars more' to get something that's a bit better. (I apply to this rule - I'd rather buy a PB 12" instead of an iBook 12" just because of CI/CV.)

The iMac is right smack-dab in the middle though. PowerMac... uh.... power, without the PowerMac price.

Written while under the influence of NyQuil.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
meltbanana314 said:
...'only a few dollars more' then Apple will make much more money. Because a lot of people will pay 'a few dollars more' to get something that's a bit better. (I apply to this rule - I'd rather buy a PB 12" instead of an iBook 12" just because of CI/CV.)
Only a few dollars? Try 800 CAD$. But yeah. I totally agree. I don't think peopppple would want to use alot of "intense" features on a portable machine. It's better for desktops. I think that's why it's only avaliable for PowerBooks. Also it would probably run crappy on an iBook. They could boost the specs, then you might-as-well buy a powerbook. And eMacs... Same thing as the iBook. The iMac would be better for more power guzzling tasks. Ya gotta pay alot to get alot :(

R

Rubin421

According to the Apple website, it's only about the GPU though, not the VRAM. So would it work on a Rev. B 12" PB (they only got 32 megs, but a compatible graphics card)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
meltbanana314 said:
Apple doesn't really think the iBook line is very important.

Same thing with the eMac.

If they make the low-end line (iBook/eMac) work the same way the 'high dollar' line (PowerBook/PowerMac) then people will always buy whats cheaper, cutting into profits significantly.

But, if they keep all the goodies in the the PowerBook/PowerMac and sell them for 'only a few dollars more' then Apple will make much more money. Because a lot of people will pay 'a few dollars more' to get something that's a bit better. (I apply to this rule - I'd rather buy a PB 12" instead of an iBook 12" just because of CI/CV.)

The iMac is right smack-dab in the middle though. PowerMac... uh.... power, without the PowerMac price.

Written while under the influence of NyQuil.
I can't see how apple can ignore the iBook line as it seems to be one of their best sellers at the moment.
The way I see it, apple's plan is as follows:

Get people to buy iPods (done.). Get people to like iTunes and apple in general. Get people to consider macs for next computer purchase.

Well who buys the most iPods? Young people who will probably go for a portable computer for school. And which is the affordable apple notebook? The iBook. The switchers model if you will.

I don't really care about ci/cv personally, but I can imagine that some people might be a bit ticked off that apple knew what requirements their new OS will have, but chose not to implement the necessary upgrades in the last iBook revision this November.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.