• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft Finally decides to ditch Windows Platform…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
i think it is gunna hurt micrsoft and all the businesses tht use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just run Leopard through the photocopier!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
If it turns out to be good and it works, then that's the only thing that matters.

I never thought that my primary email would be a webmail account. But then Gmail came along.

Things change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I'm expecting nothing less than a lousy platform and a horrible experience. Other than that. Good luck copying apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
It seems you are all misinterpreting the concept. This technology is not about running all your applications over the internet and storing your data in a "cloud." It is about the interface between your applications and the hardware they operate on. With virtualization, your "computer" is just a file on a hard drive, or a thumb drive, or, yes, even in the "cloud." Your operating system becomes portable and you can run it on any machine available. You could move seamlessly between your desktop, laptop, and handheld. You could run your office workstation remotely on a business trip. You could run legacy applications on state of the art equipment. You could run dozens of virtual servers on just a few physical machines, and if one failed, you could easily move the virtual systems to the other machines. The concept is to eliminate the dependency between the operating system and the physical computer, NOT to move the processing power or the data to a remote location.

I wish Microsoft good luck in this move. Hopefully the resulting product will not be bloated and cumbersome like windows, but rather sleek and efficient. If Apple gets on board, we could sit at any computer and run virtual OSX, while the next user could run a Microsoft OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think I'm following this topic correctly.

But to me this virtualisation means you can rum many operating systems on the same computer while using the system files stored in your server. Wherever that is.

It's a good idea. But what about this:

1. Would all of this mean we're just emulating the systems on our machines rather then actually running them on the machines as we do now with OS X? Would the performance of emulating them be good enough to make it a viable option? I do realise as Zoolook said we'd need a few things first. But I'm just trying to think if the idea at least is a good one to be going down and researching.

2. There is a movie called I Robot. And in it all of the robots are run virtually through the server. And all of the critical files are on the server. Each robot just downloads to itself the files it needs while keeping a link to the server where the OS is stored. This would allow the machines/computers to be very bloat free, only the minimum of data would be on each one and all the bloat would be in the server.

But just like the movie I feel if someone or something gets at the server and shuts it down, then all of our computers would be useless as we'd not have the necessary files stored locally to to a system restore.

Even if the laws did change and we each with our future computer purchases, bought some server space (instead of an OS on a dvd as we do today) with everything we needed on it, how would be make it secure. So no one would steal the data from it or borrow some of the bandwith we are using wirelessly to hack in and steal data.

For me I like my computer as it is now. My personal data is stored on a hard drive. Something tangible I can hold feel and have secure. Like lock it up or something. I just feel safer this way.

I do realise many sci fi movies do use this idea of a supercomupter as I mentioned above. Maybe it's the future. A wildly different one though.

And lastly someone above mentioned all of the power in the computer industry rests in generation X. Well what happens when they all die off or retire? Then what will happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
just because its based off of xp doesnt make xp trash too. xp is a great operating system and a step forward.

sometimes operating systems just dont work out. look at windows me. I pity the fool with that on thier system. regardless how bad it was microsoft shoved it down peoples throat saying they will get used to it. it was never accepted. this is what is happening with vista. they are shoving it down peoples throat and folks / buisness dont want it. eventually it will die. just like windows me.

I quite like ME... only Windows in the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
One can only hope that Midori or whatever they're going to works as well as Vista.

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Wow congrats MS, I hope this isn't just another name change.

Reaction score
Vista based on XP?

You know that Vista is based off of XP, right?

I believe the Microsoft marketing was eagerly stating that Vista is built from scratch with "security" in mind.

I'm definitely buying into that, considering so many WinXP apps were either super sluggish or incompatible altogether.

-anstormacforums
Macbook Pro 2.4/2gb/256VRAM, offcourse: 10.5.4, not WinXP!

Reaction score
You know that Vista is based off of XP, right?

I believe the Microsoft marketing was eagerly stating that Vista is built from scratch with "security" in mind.

I'm definitely buying into that, considering so many WinXP apps were either super sluggish or incompatible altogether.

-anstormacforums

Reaction score
I wouldn't min cloud computing, but I don't think it would be reliable enough at this stage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Microsoft is going a very different direction from what the market is asking for with that.

Much of the success of apple can be attributed to a tightly coupled OS and hardware platform. This gives Apple a known set of hardware to test and code to, so its much easier to have a stable environment not only for the OS but for applications that are written to the OS.

I don't think anyone wants 'cloud computing' as the center for their core OS. There are some uses for it - applications - but not for the OS itself. This idea has already been tried by Sun - java workstations. When was the last time you used a java workstation?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

-anstormacforums

All modern versions of Windows are based on the same kernel as Windows NT. Granted, that kernel has been updated over the years, but the foundation is much the same. Compare it to Windows 95/98/Me, which were based on the same old DOS kernel that dated back to the original IBM PC.

By contrast, the OS mentioned in this thread sounds like it's a ground-up, non-derivative rewrite. It's just too bad that its not an OS in the traditional sense, and therefore has very little appeal to me. I do not want my machine to need an Internet connection just to boot up :)

Microsoft has been pursuing what it considers to be the holy grail of software as a subscription service for quite a long time now. They don't want you to buy a shrink wrapped copy of anything they make, they want you to buy it over and over again, like a crack dealer that wants you to keep coming back for more. Much to their chagrin, Google came along and released this kind of application suite, only it's free. This is one of the many reasons Microsoft is so adamant about competing with Google. Google isn't just a search engine, it's a movement - and it's the antithesis of Microsoft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.