Wireless problems

R

ronlp

Sorry if this is an issue that has been addressed beofre. I did some searching, but couldn't find anything specific.

Here's my problem: I have a G5 PowerMac (my first Mac) and 2-3 XP PCs running on an Airport extreme, the Mac has an AE card and two of the PCs use Netgear 11g, the notebook is built-in 11g. I have RCN dhcp cable modem service and am using a new Surfboard modem. I have problems with both the Mac and the PCs but they are different.

The PCs just lose the connection now and then, sometimes just occasionally, sometimes constantly to the point that it just switches on and off every minute or so. They re-gain the connection automatically and don't suffer from it otherwise. They just keep working when the signal comes back with no other action required. There seems to be no level of 'tolorence' with them, meaning it doesn't seem to be dependant on activity or anything specific...the signal just comes and goes now and then. Annoying, but I can live with it.

On to the Mac. It's 'issues' are much worse. It doesn't come and go like the PCs, it just stops responding. The signal strength meter in the bar next to the clock always shows a signal, but after being on the 'net for awhile...it just won't work. With the Mac it seems totally dependant on what I'm doing. For instance, if I just use it for light web surfing or forums (ie: nothing intensive, no downloads, video streamig, pages with a lot of flash content, etc) it'll sometimes go the better part of a day with no trouble. But as soon as I do something that involves a large amount of data transfer, it quits. Here's where it gets weird: If I click the signal strength meter on the desktop and choose "turn airport off", then "turn airport on", it'll at least load a page or two before quitting on me again. The only way to make it work for awhile is to restart the Mac....not the base or modem like I would expect. If I try to use something like Limewire or steam a video without restarting first, it quits as soon as a download begins. On a fresh restart it'll usually go about 10-15 minutes before it dies. (note: the PCs will still work when the Mac isn't responding) I did have some other web-related issues with the Mac when I first got it, but they seemed to be resolved by re-installing OSX.

Things I've tried so far to fix this:
-- Reformatted the Mac / all avalable updates / run OnyX regularly
-- Replaced the previous Toshiba rental modem with my own Motorola
-- Replaced the Extreme BS under warranty and also tried an Express as the BS
-- Connection is known to be good because the PCs always worked fine with ethernet/router although I've never been able to get the Mac to work w/ ethernet. I think I just don't know the correct settings.
-- I power cycle the modem and base station almost every day.
-- Signal strength is not an issue as two of the computers are in the same room as the base station.
-- I've tried playing with the settings and configurations on all these devices, but I'll admit I pretty much suck when it comes to networking, so it's usually just "mess with the settings until all the computers are able to get online"

The only thing I can really think of at this point is that something in the Mac or Airport is configured wrong for my cable service and is allowing it to work, but not work well. Obviously the cable company's IT is useless since I seem to know more about this stuff then they do, especially when it comes to Macs....and I know very little. And unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally that has this system and uses a Mac, muchless uses both.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.