Newbiest of the Newbs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
Hi every one im new to this site and i dont have that much knowledge in computers. This is actually my first thread ever, i don't know what i want to go to school for yet but im 99% sure i want a macbook/p. i was wondering if anyone could help me decide which one to buy. my biggest concerns are how long the notebook is going to last me and how fast i can browse the web . im leaning towards the mbp mostly because of the better video card but price is an issue, although im willing to spend the money if its worth it in terms of speed and if will last me a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
It all depends on what you want to do with it really. My MacBook suits me fine - I play games, but nothing new or with flashy graphics, use Photoshop a little, surf the net constantly and use MSN, download stuff, watch movies, etc.

If you're going to be editing lots of video, gaming more, working a lot with demanding applications and stuff like that the MBP may be better for you.

As for how long it will last - that depends too. If you mean until it's just too old to keep up with modern technology and applications then you're probably safe for a pretty long time - there's a LOT of G4s in use today still.

Reaction score
I'm using a G4 and I love it. I do lots of video editing etc. and I have used my partners mbp, there really isnt alot of difference it most apps. I actually like the older pc processors to be honest with you. I'm sure there are many people on this site that will disagree(its just my opinion) So bottom line if you want to save yourself some money you could get a really nice G4 with a 2 year extended warranty if you buy from the right place with all up to date programs for like $800-$900 bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
As skaheadpunk pointed out, unless your doing really high end gaming or video editing, a normal back will be more than sufficient. You can also stick 4 gigs of ram into it and you should be able to run as many applications as you like without trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
As skaheadpunk pointed out, unless your doing really high end gaming or video editing, a normal back will be more than sufficient. You can also stick 4 gigs of ram into it and you should be able to run as many applications as you like without trouble.

Couldn't have said it better. And although I'm brand new as a member to the forums myself, I've been browsing them for quite some time... so as little as it may mean from a newb himself, welcome to the forums and congrats on your first post :)

OP
MGufman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
Thanks Zeels, i have drifted from pc gaming a little bit even though i just recently bought aoc i havent been able to play it because the requirements were to high for my dell dimension 2400 with a radeon 9250. I have looked at the G4 but i really want to get a notebook to take to school with me.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums....

Unless there is a compelling reason for you to get the dedicated graphics card and other hardware that makes up the MBPro, I can't see spending that kind of money for it. As mentioned, it all depends on what you want to do with the machine.

Based on what you've indicated, there is no reason not to get a MB. Both will last you 5 years or more, easy. (Assuming your needs don't change significantly.)

I would agree with the argument that the MBPro "future-proofs" you more so than the MB, but, again, based on what you have indicated, I recommend the MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
The MBP is so much better in my opinion than the MB. The illuminated keyboard and the keyboard itself are enough for me to buy the pro. The fact that the screen is larger is also a factor for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.