Replacing Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
About a month ago my eMac experienced some disk damage when a command overload caused chaos. Eventually the "Keys Out Of Order" fault was determined. This fault is, apparently, fixable with the use of Disk Warrior, an expensive exercise. Apple DU from the original disks cannot repair the fault.

For months I've been considering upgrading the HD in the eMac from its present 40 Gb, and very soon that will happen. But now, whilst a replacement HD is cheaper, I realise I don't quite know how to go about things.

The Upcoming Scenario
I have a shiny new Hitachi 250 Gb hard drive, plus an eMac that works, but not completely because of the KOOO fault. Simple solution is to take the eMac and the new drive to a technician to do the replacement and cloning job, but that will take the total cost beyond that of buying Disk Warrior. I still plan to do the disk upgrade.

So, how does one go about formatting a new IDE hard drive with HFS+, and then installing Tiger from original Apple disks, without first putting that new drive into the eMac? I have IDE-USB adaptors etc to use a bare drive externally, but because of the KOOO fault I can't use any key commands once the blank HD shows up on the eMac desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
hugh,

How about if you use SuperDuper to make a backup of your current drive, then putting your new drive in and then starting up holding down the C Key and going to Disk Utility. Since SuperDuper makes a bootble backup, if you then select your backup, wouldn't SuperDuper clone (restore) to your newly installed drive, HFS+ and all?

Noel

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
hugh,
How about if you use SuperDuper to make a backup of your current drive, then putting your new drive in and then starting up holding down the C Key and going to Disk Utility. Since SuperDuper makes a bootable backup, if you then select your backup, wouldn't SuperDuper clone (restore) to your newly installed drive, HFS+ and all?

Thanks Noel for the prompt response.

One not-so-small problem with using the SuDu method - key commands! With the exception of a keystroke (eg. the C key) prior to the System being loaded, a keyboard is not usable with the eMac in its present delicate condition. As I see it, cloning the resident 40 Gb disk to the new one would also clone its present KOOO fault - right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Noel for the prompt response.

One not-so-small problem with using the SuDu method - key commands! With the exception of a keystroke (eg. the C key) prior to the System being loaded, a keyboard is not usable with the eMac in its present delicate condition. As I see it, cloning the resident 40 Gb disk to the new one would also clone its present KOOO fault - right?

Hugh,

You're right, it would. I was thinking about that last night and not sure I see a way around that...

I've been scratching my head and haven't come up with a workable solution for that problem - even Apple doesn't have a solution for that... at least on their web site.

Would the following work for you? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417 Perhaps using the install disk and trying a disk repair would help... before you back it up.

Otherwise for the time I'm also at a loss - Sorry not to be able to help.

Noel

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About two months ago my eMac experienced some disk damage when a command overload caused chaos. Eventually the "Keys Out Of Order" fault was determined. <snip>
For months I've been considering upgrading the HD in the eMac from its present 40 Gb, and very soon that will happen. But now, whilst a replacement HD is cheaper, I realise I don't quite know how to go about things.

Update:
Repair to the eMac's present 40 Gb HD will take place this week. If successful, replacement of that drive will occur later. The question is, can the grey 10.4 eMac-specific disks that came with the machine be used to format the 250 Gb replacement drive, or do I need to have a retail version of Tiger? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hughvane,

Since the KOOO fault will be repaired, can you use what I suggested in my first post to you above? You shouldn't have a problem with the gray discs, I did the same with my 10.5 gray discs and didn't have any problems.

Hope you finally get this all, settled to your satisfaction...

Noel

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Noel for your continuing interest, this has been a drawn out process, but I've been away from home base for 7 weeks. I'll post a progress report once the Disk Warrior repair has been tried. I'll pass on your suggestions to the Mac tech who's doing the actual work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Hughvane,
Just a suggestion even though I know this isn't a topic of your concern. I've always been all about saving people money if necessary. Replacing the hard drive is one of the easiest tasks besides putting in a tilt n swivel stand and the RAM. Have you considered trying to replace it yourself? It gives you quite a bit of personal accomplishment to say "Hey, I fixed this!" XD

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ust a suggestion ... Replacing the hard drive is one of the easiest tasks besides putting in a tilt n swivel stand and the RAM. Have you considered trying to replace it yourself?

Hey XJ6, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I'm all in favor of saving money - which I don't have - so have considered almost every option. Bottom line (and I'm not seeking sympathy) is that my hands are seriously handicapped with one thing and another. Just tightening a screw sends me skyward, so I've opted to use a Mac Tech.

He charges a very reasonable rate, and does a good job into the bargain. He'll sort the eMac into shape. My only misgiving is that he'll find that this particular machine is one which falls into the 'faulty capacitor' range. Aaaagh!

By-the-by, 1.42 eMacs are really hard to locate here in NZ, dammit! They didn't inherit the capacitor problem.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Conundrum

I'll post a progress report once the Disk Warrior repair has been tried.

And tried successfully! Repaired with Disk Warrior which, incidentally, made no specific mention of the K-O-O-Order problem. Archive & Install was necessary to restore the OS. Some restoration of settings and a few plugins was required. Total cost - US$30. Compare that with the asking retail price for Disk Warrior in NZ - US$156! :Angry:

And so to the hard disk upgrade. But I'm in a quandary .... this eMac falls into the series that suffers the bulging/leaking capacitor problem, but is a year beyond the free logic board replacement offer. Replacement l-b cost is US$450 plus fitting charge. A used eMac in good condition sells for $US250.

So, do I just keep going with the present 40 Gb HD - with the present 250 and 160 external drives as supplements - until the eMac eventually fails; or do I take the gamble that I may escape the capacitor problem for some years and enjoy the benefit of increased internal HD storage? I can always use that replacement disk in/with another computer.

O Wise Solomons out there, say forth!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hughvane,

Hi... Your choices above are basically whether to continue with the 40GB and 2 externals OR upgrade and use the 250GB as your internal. If you were to buy a refurb, you would still use the 250, wouldn't you?

So if you have room on that 250GB to back up your 40GB with SuperDuper as we discussed earlier, I would do that and keep your machine for the time being and hope it holds out. In the meantime, start saving up to buy a new (or good refurb) machine down the road that you know will hold up for you - then you could move the 250GB to that machine...

Upgrading your hard drive is an easy job and I would take advantage of it! No need now to wait until you buy a new machine to take advantage of your 250... Go for it and do the upgrade.

Good luck, Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.