Help: I want to upload to my server directly from the internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
As my internet connection is very slow in Iraq, I want to "download" a file from a website (I'm trying to get an updated release of my Jabber client to my server). I have SSH access, is there any command that I can run over there to have it download the file to itself, rather than me very slowly download 30mb, and then very very slowly upload 30mb (we're talking over a day)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
If you can remotely connect to the server, which is sounds like you can, you could connect to it (SSH), then run FTP from the server to suck down the file directly to that box instead of to your laptop/system.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I discovered the "wget" command, which did exactly what I was hoping for.

Question number two: if I have an ssh connection open to my server, can I send a file through that ssh tunnel somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I discovered the "wget" command, which did exactly what I was hoping for.

curl would have been another possibility too.

Question number two: if I have an ssh connection open to my server, can I send a file through that ssh tunnel somehow?

This thread may help. When I mention afp in that thread, I think you may have to have Appletalk active on that remote machine. This would allow you to drag and drop files.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've grown quite fond of the simplicity of sftp actually, I'm a pretty big fan at this point. I have GUI clients to accomplish things, but I'm trying to stick to the terminal only, just for fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.