G4 - Problems with Startup

Reaction score
So here's my sad tale.
About a week ago my Pismo died. Actually, it's fixable--it was just a part I couldn't get anywhere (DC/sound card) and I need a computer constantly for work, so I couldn't afford to wait. I bought a G4, running leopard. I was pretty psyched about it.

Now I have come to find out that the majority of the time, I get the "flashing question mark/mac face folder" thing on startup. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's plugged in or running off the battery. I basically have been restarting and re-restarting again and again until it works.

Today, I tried to see if I fix the problem. I (A) went into the startup menu items and selected my drive as the startup disk (previously it had been set to a different icon next to it that said "Network Startup" and had a questionmark), and (B) repaired disk permissions. I then zapped my PRAM and PMU and attempted to start the computer.

Now, I not only constantly get the flashing question mark -- when the computer DOES see OS X, I don't get past the Apple icon, because a message comes up saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button or press restart." And, of course, then it takes me ten more times to restart, and then I get the message again.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? The only thing I've done since getting this computer is do a "software update" updating me to the newest leopard, itunes, etc. And I would think if there were any problem there I'd have gotten it with the PRAM, disk permission repair, etc. (But maybe I'm wrong?)

Is the hard disk just doomed? Is it a compatibility problem with my G4 and Leopard?

Help.
Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB , 80GB HDD, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB RAM
iBook G4's are (IIRC) completely compatible with leopard.
If you can get it to boot i'd make sure startup disk and everything are correct.

I'd also try to install leopard again, maybe there was a problem with the update installation. if you can't install the update again what i'd do is install 10.5.0 from the DVD and then install the update again, see what happens

If it has issues again i'd install leopard from the DVD (yes again) and then NOT do the update(--duh?).

you may want to boot from cd/dvd and "repair disk permissions" on the drive and the volume. then "repair disk" on the drive (this may only be in Tiger, which i have, so maybe they're made into one thing now). i've fixed quirky problems with this before .

OP
verviana
Reaction score
All of that sounds like a pretty sound plan of action -- except that I don't have an install disk. I bought it with Leopard on it.
:(

Thanks for the suggestions. How stupid do you think it would be to try to repair disk permissions, etc, from a Panther disk -- if indeed I could get it to boot and see the disk? Is that a sure way to lose Leopard?

Reaction score
i have an ibook to

i have a leopard install disk and it wont work help me please and please make the directions for like a ten year old mind of computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.