Remove item from dock

S

Stanley

Okay, allow me post what has to be the dumbest question on this forum...
How do I remove an item / icon from the dock.

In addition to this:
How do I uninstall programs ? Is there a list of all installed software on your machine somewhere (and next to each item an uninstall button)?

Like I said before. I used to be a windows guy. Still learning the mac-ropes.

Stanley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash" :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also Stanley, I might suggest Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. It was a really helpful book for me when I first switched!

OP
S

Stanley

Murlyn said:
To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash" :)

Cheers!

Okay - did that a couple of times now...
But now I see that sometimes there are still files left of that application in other folders (library/application support/....). So if you install / remove a lot of programs (e.g. for testing purposes) your system gets kindof 'dirty' after a while from all the small files that are still there from uninstalled software....

Stanley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
This is true and this is one of the complaints that people have with Mac, not just OS X, throughout the years. They really do need an uninstaller, but for some reason they refuse to create one :( Anyways if you really want to clean it out, do like you said, go to Library/Application support, library/preferences etc and clean out the files that you do not have applications for anymore.

OP
F

fairydust

Removing Ican from the Dock?

Murlyn said:
To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

Cheers!
Hi
I clicked and dragged the icon off the dock and it jumps right back into dock---now what?
Fairydust

OP
F

Fomer

You have to quit the program first so their is no little black arrow under it.

OP
J

jcromartie

As far as leaving bits and pieces in your library, there's no harm done. No other application is going to go reading the wrong preferences. They all have distinctly different names. And for the Applications Support folder, those are also only used by the specific application. Yes, they do take up disk space... but last time I checked, my Application Support folder was 15 MB, and Preferences was 7 MB. I don't think that's cause for alarm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now
They haven't asked for help in about 4 years. I'm pretty sure they figured it out. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! i didnt even notice.... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.