iTunes freezing on startup

Reaction score
So I've had this problem for a few weeks now. When I click on the iTunes icon is the system tray it bounces twice and freezes. I can't force quit either. The only thing I can do is reset and that just repeats the problem.

I thought the problem might be CoverSutra so I removed that. I also uninstalled iTunes, removed the iTunes files from user/Library/Preferences/ along with the files in the iTunes music folder. I then re-installed, and got the same problem. I even created a new user account on my computer and still iTunes froze. I've even gone into disk utility and ran verify disk and repair disk and nothing changes.

After iTunes freezes if I try and open an mp3 file I get error code 600. I haven't added or done anything drastic to iTunes prior to this problem occuring.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 160GB 2GB RAM ~ Mac OS X 10.5.4 Leopard ~ Ipod touch 8GB ~ (product red) Ipod 2nd Gen 4GB
what itunes are you running ?,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
The only advise I have to offer is that the same things were happening to me. I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive. If I didn't have it connected that would happen to me. Since you were trying to directly play music from the files I'm guessing that is not the case here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.