CD slot

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought a Macbook Pro in June and whenever I put a CD or DVD in to play it it makes a rather unusual noise. I assumed it was normal but when I put the same DVD in my iMac and doesn't make any noise. Is there something wrong with my macbook pro?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Sounds like a grindy 80's camcorder?

No worries, that's the noise the slimline drives make I'm afraid. Your iMac probably has a standard size slot load drive and therefor doesn't make as much racket.

When i first got my Macbook Pro (I was one of the first) it shocked me how noisy the drive was when I put a disc in or ejected it (or when I woke it from sleep.

Mel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, even the brand new ones make a lot of noise when inserting/ejecting discs. I had a first generation Core Duo MacBook and it was noisy as well, but not as noisy as the brand new model I have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Put your mind at rest, it sounds horrendous, but once loaded it's no noisier than any other drive. Odd that but normal.

Either they're all OK, or they're all cr*p. Personally I'll take OK :eek:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Yea...

The first time I put a cd into my MBP, I thought for sure that it had crunched it up...
I was shocked when it came out in one piece. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.