Hurry up JANUARY!

Reaction score
Hey guys.

You know how there is suppose to be a new PowerBook line comming out in january, well what do you think they will do. If its dual core then what speeds are you supspecting. Cause if they go any higher, they will be in the G5 speed range ..... (around 1.6GHz). You think they will price drop like the iBook? Whad'ya think?

L

Lasha

First, the iBook's price didn't "drop." It just stayed the same price while the specs were boosted. I am expecting the same thing for the PowerBooks, and yes, I can barely wait!!! They will probably increase the speed, and I dunno, maybe even the hard drive. I had a concern though...OVERHEATING. Apple better get this taken care of by June-August 2005. That's when I am getting my PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
uhh..Lasha...I guess you missed the newsflash..but...they did drop the prices...The 12" iBook used to be 1099, now its 999, and I believe the rest of the line got some drops in price.

L

Lasha

Oh, big deal. 99 bucks. In my opinion, it's not too much of a difference cause there is still Tax, extra stuff you want to add, etc. If it was $200+, then that'd be cool. And yea, I didn't realize that it was a 99 buck difference.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Yeah... That would be nice. I also hear, as you mentioned, is the right side of the touch pad over heating easy. They should put like a thick lining of something to keep the heat from getting to the aluminum. You think the processor will remain single?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
200 mhz more, free Airport, all for 100 less then the previous generation? You are paying less and getting more, great deal!

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
But they probably just add the airports price on to the price of the powerbook so you wouldn't know the difference. I hope the "price drop", if there is one, is more that $100. I find that they are sickly expensive.

T

tariq

This from Mac Rumors Page 2:

New Powerbooks
G5s are nowhere near ready as are dual G4s. There will however be slight upgrades and price drops.

12" - upgrade to 1.5 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in (like the new iBooks), 80 GB HD, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB) Price $1399
15" - upgrade to 1.67 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in, 80 GB, Backlit keyboard standard, Mobility Radeon 9800 (128 MB VRAM) Price - $2299
17" - Same as 15" except 17" display - $2599

Reaction score
tariq said:
This from Mac Rumors Page 2:

New Powerbooks
G5s are nowhere near ready as are dual G4s. There will however be slight upgrades and price drops.

12" - upgrade to 1.5 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in (like the new iBooks), 80 GB HD, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB) Price $1399
15" - upgrade to 1.67 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in, 80 GB, Backlit keyboard standard, Mobility Radeon 9800 (128 MB VRAM) Price - $2299
17" - Same as 15" except 17" display - $2599
can i tell u why this dosnet seem logical. Cause if that is so then apple would have updated to that way before x-masslook think about it the powerbook g4 cycle is usually every 6 months or so but the powerbooks havent been updated since april thats about 9 months. When apple does this It must mean that they are doing some big changes till the powerbook g4 line. i still dont think its a g5 but maybe dualcore reaching beyond 2ghz then featuring the 9800 with 265vram that will be pretty sweet with 7200rpm drives up to 100gig. probably featruing a new battery for more battery life. I know apple will no just update to 1.67 cause the g4 is maxed out at 1.42ghz so thats basiculy gone. They have to use a differnt g4 chip and plus g4 1.6 is sill waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooo slow compared to other pentium m's so i thin k thats wrong well see on tuesday. but I know im right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Sexyboy said:
can i tell u why this dosnet seem logical. Cause if that is so then apple would have updated to that way before x-masslook think about it the powerbook g4 cycle is usually every 6 months or so but the powerbooks havent been updated since april thats about 9 months. When apple does this It must mean that they are doing some big changes till the powerbook g4 line. i still dont think its a g5 but maybe dualcore reaching beyond 2ghz then featuring the 9800 with 265vram that will be pretty sweet with 7200rpm drives up to 100gig. probably featruing a new battery for more battery life. I know apple will no just update to 1.67 cause the g4 is maxed out at 1.42ghz so thats basiculy gone. They have to use a differnt g4 chip and plus g4 1.6 is sill waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooo slow compared to other pentium m's so i thin k thats wrong well see on tuesday. but I know im right

one word....wow..

Ever heard of....English :D

Have you ever heard of this neat thing called a period..it looks like this " ."
It's nice because it makes writing...readable...now that's cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
he used a couple of periods, here and there, randomly almost, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Danster said:
Period??? don't you mean full stops.
They are called periods in the US

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
What? Full stop???

Anyways. 2 more days till tuesday. Can't wait to see what they release. Is it comfirmed that it is the final release date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
At the high-end, the new PowerBooks will top out at 1.67GHz, sources say. Other chances will be similarly minor: the 80GB/4200RPM hard drive found on the current high-end 15-inch and 17-inch models will be replaced with a 100GB hard drive spinning at 5400-rpm. The video card at the high-end will remain ATI's Radeon 9700, but it will be given a boost from 64MB of memory to 128MB.

check.
check.

Reaction score
shaun89 said:
Hey guys.

You know how there is suppose to be a new PowerBook line comming out in january, well what do you think they will do. If its dual core then what speeds are you supspecting. Cause if they go any higher, they will be in the G5 speed range ..... (around 1.6GHz). You think they will price drop like the iBook? Whad'ya think?
First, most likely apple is going to give the notebooka a g5 if not then it would be the last speed bumb for both the ibook and the powerbook g4. I think they will both be released with the g5 proccers the ibook has two models and the highed model the 14icnh will feature the 1.6ghz g5. You may ask why well duhhh apple wants the market share. So if apple wants market share they have to reduce their prices and they will have to increase preformance thorught their consumer line and pro line. Then the powerbook Ill imagine will be 2ghz+ Im really hoping they can get the 15inch 2ghz and the 17inch 2.5ghz because there really isnt that much of a differnce btw the 15inch and the 17inch asides the display. If the 17inch is goign to be a desktop replacement well then I increase the thickness just a bit and increase the preformance by a lot! Remeber these are single chip and they are not hot! Im pretty sure that they could easily fit one in there but apple dosnet want the fans constanly running!. The xserve has a dual 2.3ghz. Imagine if they could get it smaller! I do think its very possible but by sager standatds it would have been out years ago but by apple standards the powerbook g5 is being delayed and delyaed! Apple dosnet seem to want even a 1.4inch thick powerbook maybe for the ibook but not for the powerbook! What attracted me so much about the powerbook is that I never head a single fan when playing video games and its so attractive I couldnt help but to buy one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.