Laptop: Buying One. Advice?

Reaction score
I have a G4 desktop Power PC, I run 10.4.7.

I was thinking of getting a laptop that is also a power PC, so i can install my apps and generally be compatible with my desktop. I had an ibook G4 before, I liked it.

Is it unreasonable to hope I could find a good, pretty fast Power PC laptop, or is that just too old now?

Lastly, any suggestions on where to looK?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can probably find one. However, a word of advice.... stay away from eBay and Craig's list unless the seller is local to you and you can meet with them in person and test the machine.

As far as a PowerPC laptop being too old is concerned.... yes, they're a bit out of date but are still fine machines with plenty of life left in them. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Yes, be very careful on Craigslist. I have a G4 Powerbook 17" still under Applecare protection I'm trying to decide on keeping or selling. I haven't fooled with trying to sell it because I found so many scammers on Craigslist when I was recently looking for a Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
I agree, I would definitely stay away from craigslist but ebay if you are careful should be fine. You definitely want to view there feedback score number one and if you purchase a refurbished machine from some of these ebay stores, besides the 90 warranty some also offer and extended 2 year warranty (parts and labor) thats really not to bad. Just be cautious.

Reaction score
There is no reason to buy a PPC machine for compatibility. Everything you have on PPC will work just as well (if not better) on an Intel machine. I just cannot recommend buying PPC as you immediately limit your future with that purchase.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
You can probably find one. However, a word of advice.... stay away from eBay and Craig's list unless the seller is local to you and you can meet with them in person and test the machine.

As far as a PowerPC laptop being too old is concerned.... yes, they're a bit out of date but are still fine machines with plenty of life left in them. :D

Regards.

Thanks! Thanks to all who responded with helpful posts.

Thanks for the info regarding ebay and craigslist. But what do you guys think of factory refurbished deals like these:

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp;jsessionid=asg3USEWqNf7JAw2eU?iid=824780

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_G4_1_33GHz_PowerBook_17_1_0_80GB_SuperDrive_p/g4133pb171.htm

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
There is no reason to buy a PPC machine for compatibility. Everything you have on PPC will work just as well (if not better) on an Intel machine. I just cannot recommend buying PPC as you immediately limit your future with that purchase.

Okay, fellas, is this true? Could I install my version of Microsoft Word for Mac (it's an old one, 2001), Logic Pro 7.1, iLife 04 and other peripheral apps and they would work just fine? If not that's okay, i'll get a refurbed PPC. Thanks again for the help. jroller, thank you for the resources in your sig, i checked them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Don't the new ones run all that stuff under 'rosetta'?

I could be horribly confused, I don't know much about this one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.