iPhone 3g Problems

Reaction score
I got the new iphone 3g 16gb and recently got rid of my old 8gb iphone. I was excited to check it out and play with it and see whats new and the day i got it realized a lot of things. My txt ringtone doesnt play half the time. Only sometimes. My ringtone doesnt play half the time. Only sometimes. So i reset my iphone and it works for an hour or so then stops working again. Then when i txt, the txt screen to type doesnt pop up sometimes...it like glitches out and stays at the bottom of the screen hidden. Another problem is that it LAGS sooooo bad. I have absolutely nothing on my phone except 2 pictures and 5 songs. Why is lagging so bad?

So basically my question is....WHAT DO I DO? The badass new and improved "faster 3g iphone" is slower than my old and doesnt work that well?

please help and tell me what to do? Call apple? Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the new iphone 3g 16gb and recently got rid of my old 8gb iphone. I was excited to check it out and play with it and see whats new and the day i got it realized a lot of things. My txt ringtone doesnt play half the time. Only sometimes. My ringtone doesnt play half the time. Only sometimes. So i reset my iphone and it works for an hour or so then stops working again. Then when i txt, the txt screen to type doesnt pop up sometimes...it like glitches out and stays at the bottom of the screen hidden. Another problem is that it LAGS sooooo bad. I have absolutely nothing on my phone except 2 pictures and 5 songs. Why is lagging so bad?

So basically my question is....WHAT DO I DO? The badass new and improved "faster 3g iphone" is slower than my old and doesnt work that well?

please help and tell me what to do? Call apple? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried performing a restore?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged cross-posted threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Sounds like something is up with your iPhone - my 3G doesn't exhibit any of those behaviors... I agree with Kash, do a restore and if that doesn't help I'd take it back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
Mine lags, the keyboard doesnt pop up sometime. I havent noticed a problem with system sounds but it could be doing that too. I blame it mostly on the firmware 2.0. It is BRAND NEW and there are bugs. Firmware 1.0 had the same issues thats why they had 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and 1.1.4. If it was possible I would downgrade my 3G 2.0 firmware to 1.1.4 but it isnt possible.

My advice is to wait it out until 2.1 comes out. It should fix a LOT of bugs and rumor has it it will include turn by turn GPS and Copy and Paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I can understand the lag being due to bugs, but I have yet to experience the plethora of issues the two of you guys have been facing. I really think performing a restore might fix the problem if it's a software issue. If it doesn't, then you have a hardware problem on hand and should get it replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can understand the lag being due to bugs, but I have yet to experience the plethora of issues the two of you guys have been facing. I really think performing a restore might fix the problem if it's a software issue. If it doesn't, then you have a hardware problem on hand and should get it replaced.

Agreed. Aside from the occasional keyboard lag (only after installing new apps directly to the phone , not via iTunes) I've seen none of these issues.

Reaction score
I bought the original iPhone a month after it came out last year, just got my 3G iPhone last thursday, and the battery life is terrible....
I updated to 2.0 on my old iPhone the morning it came out, and noticed a little lag in operation (but to be expected, no complaints), and no difference in battery life even after playing games, etc. the first couple days.
I am on 2.0 5A347 on my 3G, and currently (as I type) my usage since last full charge is as follows:
3 hours 3 minutes, Standby: 9 hours, 17 min, and I'm sitting at 25% battery, just the last sliver of green before the red comes up.
I habitually charge mine every night before I go to bed, and I just can't imagine my year old iPhone having better battery life?!

I took a look at apple's solution (don't get me wrong I love them, I've owned 2 iPods, 2 iPhones, and am typing this on my 17" MacBook Pro, blah blah...). It seems ridiculous to have a phone to have these features but you /shouldn't/ use them to conserve battery life (the usage is all within reason, I'm not complaining that I can't watch every episode of Entourage on a charge). It says to turn 3G, location services, bluetooth, wifi, push email off?!?! Turning these things back on takes as much time as it does to open my laptop, and also kind of defeats the purpose of having an iPhone if you ask me. The kicker was also to put it in Airplane mode if you have limited service, then you have a $300 $130/per month iPod touch...

And the master reset function (home and lock buttons held down) didn't do anything, as I've hit that every time my ringtone and text tones stop working, which I've notice happen quite frequently, as well as the phone 'disconnecting' from the charger after being on it for 2 minutes. Real nice waking up to a dead phone, I'm just glad it was Saturday... I proceeded to plug it in again, it would charge for 2 minutes then disconnect again. Did this about 5 times, then just magically stopped.....

So I don't know what's up. I'll try the master reset, again, and turn all of the features that me it an iPhone off, and try that tomorrow, if it's not any better, I would hope they would take it back.

Who else has had the same issues, and if you've found a way around them, let me know!

This will be duplicated in the iPhone 3G battery life thread as well.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115609&page=2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.