What is the Best Photo Editor

Reaction score
I just swicthed to Mac and i am looking for few good softwares to edit or organize my pictures.I have Aperture 2.1 .... Is there any other good ones? Thanks Guys

Reaction score
GIMP is pretty good. It doesn't have all the patented features that come with Photoshop, but it gets the job done quite splendidly. Plus it's free software ("open source").

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Stick with Aperture its as good as anything out there - unless you want to heavily process an image with multiple layers and adjustments in which case you will need Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
A few ideas.

Pixelmator
Photohop CS 3
Photoshop Elements
GIMP

good softwares to edit

iPhoto which is already on you mac

organize my pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I'd say Aperature and Photoshop for the editing. To me they're almost equal, but I'm not much of an advanced user. For organizing iPhoto is perfect. Just my personal preferences :D

Reaction score
Try the free trials of all of them. Aperture, lightroom, and Photoshop Elements all have them. As noted earlier, GIMP is free.

I would call myself and enthusiastic hobbiest. Lightroom and Aperture are nearly a wash in my opinion besides price and some differences (most obvious: 3rd party add-ons available for Aperture). I found that I like Aperture because it interacts so well with the rest of the Mac programs and adds more control of photos than iPhoto. I have GIMP, but am pretty amateur with it. I haven't found the need to play with layers in my photos much yet, and Aperture has met most of my editing needs. I can't justify the price of Photoshop unless I begin to sell/work in photography. I tried Photoshop Elements. It's interface with iPhoto was a bit choppy (confusing switching into PE from iPhoto to edit and then going back), it interacted with Aperture flawlessly. PE seemed to be a large program though with several components (Bridge, which I didn't see the need for with if you are organizing with another program; Camera RAW).

Lengthy, but my advice is try them all for free. Play with how they interact with each other and other programs on your Mac. Consider your needs and program prices (ie. for ~$80 P. Elements my cover all your needs for organizing, editing, etc.).

Good luck.

Reaction score
It depends how "deep" you want to go...

Photoshop is my program of choice. It is such a versatile program and offers an enormous amount of creativity and endless features.

But at the same time, there is a lot to learn, and it will take time to understand most of photoshop's more "common" image editing features.

As suggested above, definitely download some trial versions of different programs. Like Photoshop CS3 or whatever is available.

If you think that Aperture isn't giving you the flexibility that you want, then the next step up would be the Photoshop line-up.

So try it out and see what will suit you best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.