• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macs are not expensive

Reaction score
Hey.

About two months ago, I purchased a base-model macbook. And I have to say, it is a stunning machine. It feels large and roomy, whilst staying thin and light enough to carry around- far better than the odler e-macs I have used earlier. But, wherever I go people seem to comment on the cost of it. So, I decided to point out here, once and for all, why it isn't.

From my point of view, the real beauty of the Macs are not the computer hardware themselves (though they're still good) but the software bundled with it. First, you got Leopard - beats Vista easily. More reliable, more functionality, and easier to use. But, alogn with that you get iLife and assorted software. So, here's a list of the software that comes with my Mac, the comparable windows application, and the cost of it. I also included programs I judge 'Neccesairy' in order to live.

-Garageband / Sibellius ($329 - Educational Discount)
-Time Machine / Acronis TruImage ($33 - Discount edition)
-Iwork / Microsoft Office ($236 Saving)
-Parental Control/ Kidswatch ($25)

So, to those planning on doing this with a PC - good luck finding a laptop for under $600.

Comments? Did I miss any ILife software?
(Edit - I now iPhoto, iMovie, etc are missing - but I don't use them so it is non-applicable.)

Reaction score
I think you get more for your money with a PC in terms of memory, hard drive, speed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
I don't believe iWork is included, just a demo version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I think you get more for your money with a PC in terms of memory, hard drive, speed...

Couldn't agree more. OK, hard drive speed on a laptop is gonna be crap anyway as standard (5,400 compared to 7,200 upgrades). On the rest of the computer tho, Mac's seem 'out-of-date' compared to other PCs at the price point - even with upgrades.

Still, I'd rather pay a bit extra and get a Mac because you know its worth it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
You can pick up a academic version of Office for $115. So the savings is much less. But hey that is not the point, it's a Mac and that is worth it.

Reaction score
@martyp: How so are mac's out of date?

Looking at the macbook, the slowest processor one can get is a 2.1 Core 2 Duo - that is above the standard you find on most laptops out there and that is the slowest you can get on a macbook. I just visited the Dell website and the laptops advertised on the home page ship with 1.73 Celeron standard.

Remember when comparing the iMac to others, the iMac is an All-In-One, and so must be compared with other AIOs - which typically have lower specs than non-AIOs.

Not forgetting that Apple updates most products every 6 months or so to build in the latest technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You didn't factor in virus, spyware and adware protection software

MS office is still a must have for many at $115 that isn't bad compared to $79 for iwork, personally I would use iWork (I am a designer and think it looks better)

One of the main reasons I would give about software on the mac is that:

1. There is less of it
2. What there is tends to be quality, and the open source and freeware / shareware software you can get is well put together, intuitive and well designed

(eg, at work they will not support FTP on OS X, so rather than use the beautiful Transmit or Fetch we are forced to use Ipswitch FTP on XP - which looks like it has been thrown together from random bits of the windows SDK)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
anti-Virus, every true PC user knows AVG Free is better than any paid antivirus program. Multiple Anti-spyware programs are free as well. The pain is not cost, but maintenance. and if you are a smart pc user, aka know what you're doing, you'll never get a virus. I've only gotten them when doing not-so-legal things...

The difference in hardware cost is obvious. Dell had (on clearence after coupon) a XPS 1530, same EXACT specs as Macbook Pro 15" base model for $1200. that's $600 less than MBP (assumnig ed. discount). PCs are clearly cheaper, even for identical hardware. this is mostly due to coupons from Dell and HP though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
Yeah, everyone comments on the price of a Mac. For my $2200, I got a laptop, MS Office, a printer, an iPod touch, a laptop case, a USB cord, AppleCare. I don't know. It's still a lot of stuff, especially because I got $400 back and therefore really paid $1800.

It'll be worth it if my baby holds up. Otherwise, I'll be angry that I didn't just go with a Dell for price. Presently, all is looking good.

It's undeniable that PCs are cheaper really, but there's a competition market for them. Macs are sold only by Apple, use only Apple hardware/OS/software [out of the box, that is], and the price will reflect that. More switchers will allow the prices to fall over time, but they really are kind of a novelty. "You got a Mac? Cool/why/wow/oh, that's interesting."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
@martyp: How so are mac's out of date?

Looking at the macbook, the slowest processor one can get is a 2.1 Core 2 Duo - that is above the standard you find on most laptops out there and that is the slowest you can get on a macbook. I just visited the Dell website and the laptops advertised on the home page ship with 1.73 Celeron standard.

Remember when comparing the iMac to others, the iMac is an All-In-One, and so must be compared with other AIOs - which typically have lower specs than non-AIOs.

Not forgetting that Apple updates most products every 6 months or so to build in the latest technology.

You've got a point with the iMac - not seen a computer that can match it in terms of style and quality.

However, laptop wise. Take a MacBook on the Apple US site, 13" white version, 2.4GHz, 13.3" (CCFL?) screen, 2Gb, 160Gb HDD, intel GPU, Airport etc... $1,299

or.

Dell XPS M1330. 2.4GHz, 15.1" (1440x900) LED screen, 3Gb, 250Gb, nVidia 8400M GS, Wi-Fi etc. $1,399.

If I didn't care for Mac's I know I'd buy the Dell. Better graphics, 1Gb more RAM (ok, really needed for Vista! :D ) and more importantly larger higher res screen so IMO well worth the extra $100 and maybe more?

Don't think I'm bashing ANY Mac out there - I love Apple's products.

Also I suppose I forgot to add resale/future proofing in the equation which is important to some. That Dell will be worth ~1/2 price in a year where the Mac Book won't depreciate as much and will be a useable computer for a lot longer. Therefore, yes ANY Apple is ALOT better value for money compared to a PC. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
See, you want a bigger screen. I was disgusted with the huge, awkward wide-screen laptops. I love the size of my little MacBook. At first I felt like I was a little uncomfortable with it, but now it's no problem.

Who doesn't want a computer that will be useable longer? I guess people who always want to be on top of the latest technology might not care if their computer lasts for years and years...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Apple's overpriced computers don't generally start out overpriced (except the Mac Mini, I suppose). The only reason Macs are usually so expensive compared to similarly equipped computers from other manufacturers is because Apple keeps each of their products at a constant price, even months after the unit has been released and the cost of the technology in it has gone down. By contrast, that MacBook Pro-quality notebook from Dell that was the same price back in February has now probably dropped in price by several hundred dollars. Making a software argument, especially the one in the OP... I'm not even going to get started on how wrong it is because I'll probably get neg-repped and told to "go back to Vista" by some anonymous Mac fanboy again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not even going to get started on how wrong it is because I'll probably get neg-repped and told to "go back to Vista" by some anonymous Mac fanboy again.

Done.....!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Seeing as I've never used Vista for more than 30 minutes or had it installed on a computer, I find the sentiment a little misguided... but I love you too, baggss. <3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You asked for it and at least it wasn't anonymous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey baggss, I didn't know you were an anonymous Mac fanboy ;P

I find this thread amusing, as if Slashrim has stumbled upon some unknown knowledge in the cost debate between Macs and PCs. Dude, we've gone over this a million times, you'll find hundreds if not thousands of posts on the subject here at Mac-Forums, many of which offer far more compelling arguments with a ton of data and evidence thrown in for good measure. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No no, I signed my name. I'm an un-anonymous Mac Fan-Boy...

Is that even a word "un-anonymous"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the term would be "open"? But we really should get back on topic. Do you think Apple will at some point start adopting the practice of dropping prices in between product line refreshes? It might help their image in the pricing area.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.