• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does the gas price situation make sense to anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I am really sorry to disagree over this point

It is a controversial topic I agree but...

Unless any serious global warming sceptics can cite any credible major scientific studies from any internationally respected scientific journals then I will finally shut up and concede that global warming due to human CO2 emissions is, corroborated by scientific evidence, most probably false.

Not really a mac subject, but I have read so much science literature, that looking at both sides of the debate , quite frankly I would love the idea that global warming is a load of hogwash, but it isn't and unless we deal with it, then our children will be asking us a lot of very tricky questions

You can believe what you choose, as can anyone else. The bottom line is there is debate over the cause and that debate is far from over despite what many want you to believe.

No one is going to change anyones mind in a place like this and both sides can find plenty of evidence on-line to support their arguments. The bottom line is, it's a pointless debate to have here unless you just want an excuse to debate over something. In the end though, it is likely to end badly and alienate more than a few members.

Reaction score
Another thing that people forget when they talk about the price of oil is OPEC. Most of the oil that our country buys comes from OPEC countries. OPEC can set oil prices at what ever they wish.

It is pretty interesting because the national average of gasoline prices has just dropped below 4 dollars a gallon. I personally think this is because 2008 is an election year and OPEC has dropped the price for now. I remember the same thing happened in 2006, I believe, when US senators were up for reelection.

Oh, and about global warming. In my opinion the whole debate as to whether it is real or not, whether it is caused by man or not, is really a political ploy so that politicians won't have to enact any further policies regarding the environment. Seriously, forget about global warming for a second, we know, for a fact, that the emissions from automobiles and other devices that use fossil fuels are a health risk. We should be trying to get away from fossil fuels because the devices that use them cause health problems. There is a truck stop town in California I believe that has a very high cancer rate because the air is so polluted by the emissions of fossil fuel cars. In this case, the solution mitigates the problem of whether global warming is real or not. I say that it is irrelevant whether global warming is happening or not. We should stop using fossil fuels because they are a health risk in many areas, and because we do not control a large supply of oil in comparison to the Middle East, so our economy is being held captive by OPEC (which also includes like Mexico and Venezuela).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
If you do not believe Global warming is a serious problem you must be a religious person of some sorts. They are they only real 'closed' minded people in this world.

In the last 100 years we have polluted our earth more than anything in the first 50,000. Imagine you put all the people and cars and industry in the world into one huge HAPPY box. ie: The atmosphere. If you don't think it's gonna warm up in here your friken nutz.

So again, are you so thick (like a crazy christian) that you can't see that we are the masters of our own demise.

GLORY BE, Even in the last 5 years all the weather and storms nd PINK FUZZY BUNNIES that have been tearing the country apart.........this is just the beginning unfortunately.

Reaction score
If you do not believe Global warming is a serious problem you must be a religious person of some sorts. They are they only real 'closed' minded people in this world.

Not true, many scientists believe that global warming is cyclical and not caused by man.

But I mean, your reaction kind of proves my point further. You've gotten very passionate in defending global warming as real, and someone else will become just as passionate in claiming it is not real. I say, forget that debate and recognize what we already know: using fossil fuels pollutes our atmosphere, making them a health risk. That is a problem that people have to deal with, right now, moreso than the temperature of the earth rising.

I personally believe in global warming, though I don't think one can scientifically prove it. I just think it makes more sense to skip the debate and take care of the problem that is posing a risk to people right now, and in turn, actually taking care of the threat of global warming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I have noticed this somewhat in Southern California. Still see lots of SUVs but it appears to me that there are less of them. That being said, I'm not planning on dumping mine any time soon. Gas is not high enough for me to consider replacing it and I can fill up my tank for less than $100. I don't expect gas prices (which are dropping again and are likely to continue for the rest of the year) to hit my pain threshold for some time.

Being from Michigan, I know this feeling.

We love cars. Cars are kind of the lifeblood of Michigan, even though the auto industry is leaving, the headquarters still remain here (cheap land costs!), and so does the history with the big 3.

I, personally, have a truck fetish. If I had the $45,000 to get a Chevy 3500HD pickup, I would, and I wouldn't whine about gas prices because, well, I enjoy driving, and if I'm driving a vehicle that's fun to drive and I enjoy, I'm simply paying for the privilege of being able to drive.

I know that's kind of a closed minded way of looking at it, but frankly, I'm not particularly eco-conscious, I've grown out of my "Watching the Detectives" phase, so the tin foil hat is off, and I've realized that my position in life is so small that no matter what I do now, I'm going to have to play the game anyway for the rest of my life.

Pretty much raising the white flag on my teenage war with the government and accepting my place as a cog in the big faceless machine until I actually NEED to lash out.

Gas prices just happen to be one of those things I know are bad, I know won't get better, and I know I don't have control of. That being the case, I should at least be able to drive the car I want to drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

In the last 100 years we have polluted our earth more than anything in the first 50,000. Imagine you put all the people and cars and industry in the world into one huge HAPPY box. ie: The atmosphere. If you don't think it's gonna warm up in here your friken nutz.

So again, are you so thick (like a crazy christian) that you can't see that we are the masters of our own demise.

GLORY BE, Even in the last 5 years all the weather and storms nd PINK FUZZY BUNNIES that have been tearing the country apart.........this is just the beginning unfortunately.

This is the kind of judgmental post that is going to cause problems. If you want to debate the subject fine, but keep this sort of thing out of it. You obviously have some pre-conceived notions about certain groups of people, please keep it to yourself. If you can't debate without resorting to name calling or derogatory comments, then don't debate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is the kind of judgmental post that is going to cause problems. If you want to debate the subject fine, but keep this sort of thing out of it. You obviously have some pre-conceived notions about certain groups of people, please keep it to yourself. If you can't debate without resorting to name calling or derogatory comments, then don't debate.

Agreed - and this thread has taken a turn down the wrong path. I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.