Problem installing OS X on G4

N

natcam

Hi all

I've just attempted to install OS X on my G4. The software was originally supplied with an ibook.

When I click on the "Install OS X" icon, I get the error message:

The Alias Install Mac OS X could not be opened because the original cannot be found.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is the install disk an update disk or a full install disk?

OP
N

natcam

As far as I know it's the full install disc. There is a second disc which is the restore one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you should install os x by booting from install disc 1, to doso, insert the dic, shut down your mac with the disc still in it, start up holding down the c key on the keyboard, then the installer will walk you through the rest, install as an upgrade to leave everything as it is, and leave classic installed.

OP
N

natcam

I've tried that a couple of times and all I get is a blank screen.
Pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "doso"?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I meant to have a space between do and so, so to do so...
are you sure your firmware is up to date?

OP
N

natcam

How can I tell if my firmware is up to date?
It's a G4, 450mHz dual chip, nearly 4 years old, and no upgrades done in that time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what os are you currently running? what model is your mac: powermac g4, imac g4 or g3, g4 cube, etc? if youre in os 9, open the software update control panel and see if your firmware needs updating, another way to know is by using apple system profiler, itll give you your firmware version, then check apples site for the latest firmware version.

OP
N

natcam

Vincent,
I've checked the apple website and they advise to download OS 9.2.2 before attempting to install OS X. Crossing fingers that this will work.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
natcam said:
Vincent,
I've checked the apple website and they advise to download OS 9.2.2 before attempting to install OS X. Crossing fingers that this will work.
Thanks for your help.
OMG! I assumed you were running os 9.2. already, cause why wouldnt you update, here are reasons, but it should work fine after that, but check software update to make sure your firmware is up to date as well.

OP
N

natcam

I've now installed 9.2.2 (it was quite a jump from 9.0.4) and have updated the firmware, but the problem still remains. When I restart with the C key held down all I get is a blank screen. It's a Powermac G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which g4 is it? what kind of drive are you inserting the disc into? superdrive(dvd r/cdrw), combo drive(dvd rom/cdrw), cd rom, external, internal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but is it a quicksilver, mdd, etc? sounds like it is just that the lens needs cleaning if thats an internal drive.

OP
N

natcam

I've got no idea what type of drive it is - I'll check it out. It plays all other discs ok - DVDs, CDs including music & software.
I've decided to take the easy way out and take it to my local Mac shop. I'll get them to install OS X, and fix up a few other things while they're at it.
Thanks for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.