• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

'Small' Mpeg-4 Files End up BIG in iDVD

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Quick question about using iDVD. I am trying to make a DVD with several 'episodes'. After converting them from .avi to .mp4 (using iSquint and H.264 encoding), each episode is in the 280-300 mb file size range. I started a new project in iDVD and imported the videos, but after importing just one episode I am close to the single-layer DVD limit with 2700 mb taken up for one episode (and some menu/audio features). Even prior to converting to .mp4 the file size for each episode was less than 350mb.

My question is, why is iDVD reformatting the episodes into much large video files? Is there anyway around this? I know it's unrealistic to fit all episodes on a single DVD and have it be acceptable quality, but I'd like to be able to fit more than 2 (which is the limit I am currently at).

Thanks for any help.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Quick question about using iDVD. I am trying to make a DVD with several 'episodes'. After converting them from .avi to .mp4 (using iSquint and H.264 encoding), each episode is in the 280-300 mb file size range. I started a new project in iDVD and imported the videos, but after importing just one episode I am close to the single-layer DVD limit with 2700 mb taken up for one episode (and some menu/audio features). Even prior to converting to .mp4 the file size for each episode was less than 350mb.

My question is, why is iDVD reformatting the episodes into much large video files? Is there anyway around this? I know it's unrealistic to fit all episodes on a single DVD and have it be acceptable quality, but I'd like to be able to fit more than 2 (which is the limit I am currently at).

Thanks for any help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iDVD is creating mpeg2 files which as far as I know is the only codec DVDs are designed to playback.

You might be able to alter the encoding being done and get it lower so you can add a third or forth episode. Also if your writer can handle it, try using dual layer discs.

To change the encoding...
Select 'Project Info...' from the Project menu listing and change the Encoding appropriately. Use the Help menu to figure out which is the right choice.

Reaction score
When you import video, imovie, and probably idvd, imports to raw digital video, removing any encoding. This makes file sizes huge.
I've had 20mb movie clips end up as 2 gig files in imovie.
Then, when you actually make the movie or dvd, it encodes to whatever is set in the prefs like xstep said. I could be wrong about idvd as I don't use it, someone correct me if so.
I wouldn't worry about file sizes until you get to the final encoding and then see if it will fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
When you import video, imovie, and probably idvd, imports to raw digital video, removing any encoding. This makes file sizes huge.
I've had 20mb movie clips end up as 2 gig files in imovie.
Then, when you actually make the movie or dvd, it encodes to whatever is set in the prefs like xstep said. I could be wrong about idvd as I don't use it, someone correct me if so.
I wouldn't worry about file sizes until you get to the final encoding and then see if it will fit.

The raw digital video you speak of is actually another compressed encoding. Depending on the source, iMovie may or may not re-encode the file since it can natively edit several formats. Often you'll see people suggest that people trying to edit AVI files first re-encode them to AIC because iMovie can have issues with AVI files even when you have a good decoder. AIC is not conservative on space.

iDVD projects get large because of the mpeg2 encoding required for the DVD format. Depending on the project setting, this can happen in the background, or after you hit the Burn button.

Reaction score
Learning something new every day :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.