/cry white screen of death!!!

Reaction score
yesterday my macbook crashed completely while playing WoW so i had to force shutdown as force quit wouldnt show up. now when i boot up it does the "bong" sound then just stays white and does not show the cursor.

i have tried having the OSX install disk 1 and 2 and leopard disk in and holding down "c".
I also tried holding the "option" key down during start up and all that did was give me the cursor but still the white screen.

i was going to call the support line but then realised that costs money :p
can anyone help me please.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
The only thing I could think of is take it to an Apple store

OP
S
Reaction score
how long does the warranty last cos i know that the phone service costs money after about 2 months. and anyway i have 2 apple stores near me .
One in Manchester (UK), and one in the Trafford Centre (UK)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You have 90 days of phone support and a one year hardware warranty.

Sounds like your hard drive to me. Just replaced mine after it did the same thing. Wasn't playing wow though. Crashed right in the middle of sending an email about pork chops.

Never did have those pork chops.

Reaction score
You have 90 days of phone support and a one year hardware warranty.

Sounds like your hard drive to me. Just replaced mine after it did the same thing. Wasn't playing wow though. Crashed right in the middle of sending an email about pork chops.

Never did have those pork chops.

If you are in your one-year warranty period, this sounds like a great time to go ahead and invest in the AppleCare extended warranty. It is a requirement for all laptops, in my opinion.

There are a couple of things you might try. You've already tried the boot disk. Have you tried running fsck (file system check) on boot? There is an explanation of it on the Fix My Mac link in my signature, if you haven't. (A good thing to know how to do anyway.)

If you have (or know anyone who has) DiskWarrior, it would be my next recommendation and is also a great resource to have in your library (but it's not free...).

Try fsck and let us know if that works.

Reaction score
If it does happen to be your hard drive and you are no longer under warranty, I know you can purchase a new hard drive (upgraded) fairly inexpensively. I know this because I have been shopping around with intentions of upgrading. And you'll definitely save yourself some money if you can do it yourself. There are plenty of fully illustrated install guides on the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Have you tried booting into safe mode by holding down "Shift" as you turn on the computer? Alternatively, I'd try resetting the PRAM by holding Cmd+Option+P+R as the computer starts up (and keeping the buttons held until the second time you hear the startup bong), or resetting the SMC by completely unplugging your computer from everything, shutting it off and taking out the battery for 30 seconds, then holding the power button for five seconds before putting the battery/power plug back in and turning it on again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.