New MacBook - Drain the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
My MacBook is expected to arrive today. I've read somewhere that once I turn it on I must fully discharge the battery, and then fully recharge it, is that correct? I have heard that if you don't do that then the battery life decreases by a significant degree.

EDIT: My MacBook is actually a refurb, does that make any difference?

Reaction score
Download istat pro widget from www.apple.com. Figure out how many battery cycles you have first off. According the manual you should fully recharge the battery once you receive your laptop. After that you should do the battery calibrate which is allowing the computer to enter sleep mode when it's about to die. After that let it sit in sleep mode or turn the pc off for 5 hours or more. Once that's done, recharge the battery back to 100%. That's a calibration. Apple recommends it once a month to keep the battery readings accurate and good health.

A full cycle is recharging the battery back to 100% from 20% or below.

Hope that helps you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Charge it completely first, then calibrate it (run it till it sleeps, then recharge it fully.) This will reset the power level indicator in the battery.

Completely discharging your battery can only damage your battery, and should be avoided except when it is necessary to calibrate it.

http://www.apple.com/batteries

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Oh ok thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.