PLEASE HELP!!Replaced LCD screen, now wifi is not working properly

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my five year old nephew accidentally cracked my girlfriend's lcd screen on her brand new Macbook. Deciding to replace the screen on my own, I used the online instructions from screenTek. Needless to say this was a bad decision on my part, as I somehow ended up cutting the black and gray wifi wires:( .

I took the macbook to my grandpa's house, and he soldered(sp?) both wires back together at the point in which I cut them. Anyways, after soldering the wires back together, the wifi isn't as strong as it once was. I have to be at least ten feet or closer to the router (there is only one in the house) for the wifi to work properly.

What should be done to fix this problem?? Could it be the soldered wires? The wifi was working perfectly before this happened...Thanks in advance for the help:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The WiFi antenna is usually in the screen assembly and those wires connect it up. Are you sure the other end of the wires did not pull off the Airport Extreme card inside the Macbook? That would cause what you are experiencing for sure. If those wires are pulled too hard they could for sure become unsnapped from the WiFi card.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think the wires did get pulled off from the Airport Extreme Card inside the Macbook, because my Grandpa said he took the entire labtop apart to reconnect the wires I cut with something inside the macbook.

So could the soldering job he did to connect the wires be the problem? And if so, what parts should I buy to fix the problem?

Also, is it possible that I just moved the reception of the wifi (the online site I used to remove the Macbook's LCD warns users not to move the wires as the wifi signal can alter).

OP
N
Reaction score
I think the wires did get pulled off from the Airport Extreme Card inside the Macbook, because my Grandpa said he took the entire labtop apart to reconnect the wires I cut with something inside the macbook.

So could the soldering job he did to connect the wires be the problem? And if so, what parts should I buy to fix the problem?

Also, is it possible that I just moved the reception of the wifi (the online site I used to remove the Macbook's LCD warns users not to move the wires as the wifi signal can alter).

Does anybody know?? I need to get this fixed asap before school starts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Very doubtful that its where it plugs into the Airport Card, if this was unplugged, you would have to set the computer basically on the Wifi device for it to get any signal. My guess is somewhere in the hinge it either came unplugged or frayed/split. Take it apart and follow the wire up into the screen to make sure its intact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.