Mac Pro vs MBP 17" for Music Production

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Hey.

I'm starting a music production school very soon and would like to buy myself a machine that can handle it without problem.

I'm thinking between the Mac Pro and the MBP 17".

What would you advice? note that I already have a white MacBook so I don't really care about mobility.

Also mind that I don't have any external screen to put to the Mac Pro and since I want / need a widescreen of at least 24" and up and it will cost at least $500 more.

What do you advise??

Thanks a lot :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Music production = Mac Pro. Enough said. Save your pennies for a large external wide screen monitor. :D (You wouldn't be happy with a MBP)

Regards.

JFL

Reaction score
Software

Hi,

What software do you intend to use? I found out that Macs are not considered what they used to be for music production and that a lot of software companies provide only PCs with their latest releases.

Thanks,

JF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you don't need the mobility, why put up with a 17" screen?

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

What software do you intend to use? I found out that Macs are not considered what they used to be for music production and that a lot of software companies provide only PCs with their latest releases.

Thanks,

JF

I will use Pro Tools HD and Logic.

About the "17, I saw that the maximum resolution of the 17 MBP is 1920 x 1200, so I thought it will do fine.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, also I would like to know what you think of the 24" iMac 3.06Ghz for my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well on the horsepower issue. I have the last white 17 inch imac there was. 2ghz. And it runs GarageBand and Logic Pro with no issues at all. Even with quite a few tracks going all at once. So for me I'm quite happy with my imac.

But for you, my vote goes for the imac. WHy?

1. You already have a portable computer. I don't see a need for a 2nd one. And most people don't walk around while recording music. They do it in a room or studio. Where a desktop can easily be set up.

2. The Mac Pro is really expensive. Worth every dollar if you're going to use every Ghz out of it's 4 or 8 cores to the max. Which is rather hard to do actually. Cause there isn't that much out there that requires that kind of power. Plus you'd need to buy a screen. So it's the Mac Pro price + your $500 screen. It is the fastest thing out there mac wise. And if you want all that raw speed sure go ahead. But it might be overkill, by quite a bit.

3. I would look around the net and places for others users experiences of using Logic etc with an imac. I know I do but why just take my word for it. If many people all have no issues with it, then it'd look more of an option.

So my recommendations would be:

Macbook Pro - No.
Mac Pro - If you crave the speed and power and are ok with the price to set up the entire system.
Imac - I'd recommend that. Sure you wouldn't need to go for the fastest one out there. But cause you said you would if you got an imac I'd go for that if you decide against the Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.