• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

walmart refreshed their logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Wow, so much animosity towards a company that puts just about anything you could need in one place, and guarantees the lowest prices. Odd.

I like the new logo, I'm always for changing styles and looks.

I'm sorry, I failed to read your post due to the awesome car in your signature.

Reaction score
put them in the same boat as homedepot and all the other box stores They all
Sells crap for less and put all our home grown mom and pop shops
out of business. If they could turn a buck for our soul I am sure you would
get a rebate check for turning it in.
10soul.jpg
[/IMG]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Do you actually think I pay for stuff at walmart?

Realistically, I hate that place. I'll spend $3 more on the same product before I shop their.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
That new logo looks like someone's puckered....

...nevermind.

Guess that's the mom and pop shops reaction to walmart coming into town.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
doesn't make me forget the fact that they don't pay their employees enough to even be able to SHOP there!

I will always support local retail stores over walmart, target, amazon.com and all of those larger places as long as economically possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I have always marveled that some business people think that changing a logo will make people run right out and start buying their product. (and flying balloons over their business during a sale).

Did you say BALLOONS?? I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!

(I wonder if salesmen actually think people think that when looking for a car)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Walmart is pure evil. The new logo looked like it was pulled out of someones behind.

Target ownz Walmart, I just love their commercials.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, Dell Inspiron 9400
No one is forced to work there or shop there. I could care less how they do it. I will shop where I can get the most bang for my bucks. I can make one trip to Walmart and get everything I need. I save on gas and time as well as the cost of goods.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, everyone has to make their choices and decide if what they're doing is good for them or good for their neighborhood. walmart (and most huge box stores) tends to reward the individual consumer in the short term, but without a doubt have negative impacts on the local economy. which is almost a viscious circle:
some people shop at walmart > local economy suffers > more people need to shop at walmart simply to make ends meet.

in larger suburban areas, this effect appears to be minimized due to closer proximity to more work and shopping options, but rural areas can be decimated by somethig like walmart (who thrives where many other big box stores like target, best buy, etc may not be able to do as well). in my opinion, why feed that machine to save a buck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I find this sudden haughty influx of morality amusing. You all are aware of Apple's business practices and use of Chinese manufacturing facilities, right? Everyone here has bought from a company that supports human rights violation and outsourcing and has dodgy business practices, whether it be their mega-grocery, a shoe company or anything else. Blaming Walmart in particular for questionable business practices is little more than bandwagon-jumping.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
as i said before, we all have to make these decisions for ourselves. but unless we want to live off the grid, most of us can't simply pull ourselves completely off the corporate bandwagon.

we do have the opportunity however to choose our battles. at least those of us who decide to try to make things better globally by acting locally in ways that fit within our abilities and means.

walmart is the largest gorilla in the room, with the ability and some desire on the behalf of shareholders in the name of profit, to do serious damage, not only to communities, but also to suppliers and employees.

i said before that i shop at target, i also shop at best buy. if i lived elsewhere, i'd probably rethink that. being that target and best buy are based here where i live (and i work for one of them), it is keeping my money local. i also shop at local mom and pop stores and co ops as often as makes sense.

so before you generalize that people are simply jumping on a moral bandwagon of any sort, keep in mind that some of us aren't nearly as sheepish as you might think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said Discerptor. Also I have yet to see a Walmart run every one out of town and then raise prices so it makes no sense to me to pay more than I have to. As to the rest of the world it is not my job to worry about it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
As to the rest of the world it is not my job to worry about it.

i'm not going to lie, i had about 10 really horribly negative reactions when i read this. but due to my nature, the fact that i've always seen you as a completely amicable guy, and the nature of this place, i'll keep those to myself.

i do have a question though; who's job is it? most people don't seem to think governments should be doing it, and coroprations certainly aren't as long as that system remains co-opted by the need to appease shareholders.

personally, as a father, i can't imagine not putting some thought into my own kids' futures. it's like opening up a savings account for them, or making sure they get a decent education. you make sure their options are open by taking care of some of the details. for me, one of those details is trying to make sure, in my own small way, that they have more than one or two big box stores to work and shop in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My comment was not meant as a complete callous disregard for the world, but there are bigger problems here at home than Walmart and their corporate practices. As to providing for my daughter I have tried to raise her to be savvy enough to take advantage of the corporate climate and survive and not be a sheep that needs to be looked after. In other words she was raised to be a predator not prey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how about as a steward or guardian? more noble perhaps than predator? ;P

I agree but the predator is more likely to survive. I served my county for twenty years in all three roles, but I started out in the Marine Corps as the predator and that is what I will fall back on when times get tough. Family, friends, and "brothers in arms" come before strangers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
understood. not that we're on the same page, but i understand where you're coming from.
i just believe that not shopping at places like walmart may help everyone stay out of tough times; and that the safety of my family is benefitted by more people in my community earning more money and feeling better about their jobs. so, similar goals, differnt approaches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. That's the great thing about this board we are all different yet able to respect each others views with out going ballistic. Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I wonder what they paid to have this "new" look.

I think it looks to medical or ... prescription-y

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.