I've got two networks, how do I delete one?

Reaction score
Hiya

My wireless router blew up in a thunder storm a few weeks ago, so I went to buy another one, messed around setting it up and thought all was fine. Last night, my mate was over flashing his new iPhone at me and it tried to connect to my network. I pressed decline or whatever it says and then it attempted to connect to a different network which was called the password of my original network! It connected as it was unsecured. I looked on my Mac and there it was, 2 networks, one normal, secured and one other which is my normal one's password, unsecured. How can this be? How can I delete it? I can't see anything in Mac Help on deleting extra network connections.

Just to let you know, I also have a time capsule which I use wirelessly, but that's called something totally different, though my Mac life has been slightly odd since I got it.

Can anyone help me delete this extra network that shouldn't be there?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is there any chance that this "extra" network is really a neighbor's, and the network name being the same as your old password is sheer coincidence?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Yeah, if you router blew up and you replaced it, that was deleting your other network. The one you are seeing now is not your own. It was probably just the default name of the brand of routers.

OP
V
Reaction score
Not a chance

Unless the neighbours can read my mind. It's a v convoluted password with numbers all over it. Not a standard word, no-one could ever make it up. Unless the universe is having a laugh with me, which wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, I'll have to alter the pw of my network, as it's so blatantly there on the other network.

How do I see on my mac which networks are "mine"? I really can't figure this out....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless the neighbours can read my mind. It's a v convoluted password with numbers all over it. Not a standard word, no-one could ever make it up. Unless the universe is having a laugh with me, which wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, I'll have to alter the pw of my network, as it's so blatantly there on the other network.

How do I see on my mac which networks are "mine"? I really can't figure this out....

Alrighty... just wanted to be sure on this. Well then clearly you have two or more routers in use. You said you are using a Time Capsule, but then said that that was "totally different". I'm not sure what you meant by that. You are aware that the Time Capsule is a wireless router also, right?

OP
V
Reaction score
Time capsule

When I said totally different, I meant my time capsule has a different name to either of those networks. Are you saying the tc could have a network name, that isn't the tc's name? I can't see on my mac where to look for these things. Just tried to look on time capsule, but couldn't see anything to do with names.

Feel a bit duncy!

x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I said totally different, I meant my time capsule has a different name to either of those networks. Are you saying the tc could have a network name, that isn't the tc's name? I can't see on my mac where to look for these things. Just tried to look on time capsule, but couldn't see anything to do with names.

Feel a bit duncy!

x

Ok... run your Airport Utility (in your Applications folder) and tell me what it sees.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.