Would this work?!?

Reaction score
Ok. So I am going to try and explain this as good as I can so its clear. I have had an iPhone since December. My younger brother really liked it so he got my entire family to switch over to ATT in mid June. He did not buy an iPhone at first because he was waiting for the 3g. So since he has not previously owned an iPhone...nor is he due for a new 2 year agreement...he can't get the new iPhone for 199.00 like the rest of us. He doesnt want to pay the 400 soo....here is our idea. Let me know if you think this would work. Ok. so first, I buy the new iPhone 3g for 199.00 and since I no longer need my 1 generation phone...I sell it to him. He then walks into ATT and say he needs to upgrade his plan so he can use the iPhone he purchased from someone. So now he has an iPhone...and an iPhone account. Next...he goes into an apple store and since he now has an old iPhone plus an iPhone account he purchases the new iPhone for 199.00 and goes home and activates it through iTunes. Last step...he sells my original first generation phone on ebay and recovers some of the cash he spent. SOO....what do you think?? could this really work? Let me know your thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
right. well the Return key would have been handy in your post.
but i think you have to have had the iphone for a certain period to be eligible for the reduced upgrade.

ring atat and say you have an iphone and you want to upgrade and tell them how long you(he) has had it for say i got it a few days ago from my brother or something.

see what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
..........and goes home and activates it through iTunes. Last step...he sells my original first generation phone on ebay and recovers some of the cash he spent. SOO....what do you think?? could this really work? Let me know your thoughts.

Currently, I think you have to activate the 3G inside an Apple or AT&T store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Currently, I think you have to activate the 3G inside an Apple or AT&T store.

Yes, you do. This is why they are not selling them on-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok. so first, I buy the new iPhone 3g for 199.00 and since I no longer need my 1 generation phone...I sell it to him.

Just how generous do you expect to be? You know these 1st gen phones are still selling for $400+ used because they are the only ones that can be gotten without a contract (in the US at least) and thus the only ones that realistically are available for unlocking for use on other carriers. If you aren't going to sell it to him for $400, you may as well give him the diff in cash... you are throwing it away either way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.