• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Void warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Does opening a desktop Mac void the warranty just as it does on a notebook? Because if so, that would really bother me becuase I LOVE to open the computer and look around and fiddle with the hard drive and ad memory and extra hard drives and what not. Does it void the warranty? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you remove anything that has a sticker that says removing this will void your warranty then it does. Usually memory chips, hard drives and optical drives have this sticker on

Reaction score
I think that if you put your own memory in then it doesn't void the warranty. I think it's because it's so easy, and common to alot of users. I'm not 100% on that.. but I'm pretty sure if you want to "fiddle" with the insides then it will because it's you that causes the hardware fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.